sick ISA Brown Hen?

I have been adding vitamins to her water. Her one squinted eye seems to be better, but she still isn't moving around at all.
I talked to the hatchery where she is from and they really don't think it's Mareks disease, which would be wonderful. They said the squinted eye could be from ammonia in the hen house. We did just change all the sawdust on the floor, so that should help everyone out.
I also went and bought some black sunflower seeds and oyster she'll today. So I will offer that tomorrow.
I did grab a panflet on the horse wormer, but the feed store said other people have been using something different. I will have to look further into that.
I also loaded the video onto YouTube and will post a photo for you all here tomorrow.

Can you post the link on here so we can see it. The dewormer is call Safeguard in a yellow tube. It will be in the horse section. They can't be sure its not Mareks disease until you do a necropsy. I have talked to people who are so involved in chickens who have no idea what it is. When you do the research, its every where. Check her crop as well to see if its flat in the morning before she eats, rule out sour or impacted crop. Does she have normal poops.

We decided to put her down today. The last two days she stopped eating and I didn't even see her drink. She was starting to breath out of her mouth and was getting very thin.
She hadn't really been pooping much and her crop was empty.
All of the other birds seem fine at this point. If any others develop symptoms we will definitely get a necropcy.
I will look for the wormer at the feed store. How long do I have to through out the eggs?
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
:(

We decided to put her down today. The last two days she stopped eating and I didn't even see her drink. She was starting to breath out of her mouth and was getting very thin.
She hadn't really been pooping much and her crop was empty.
All of the other birds seem fine at this point. If any others develop symptoms we will definitely get a necropcy.
I will look for the wormer at the feed store. How long do I have to through out the eggs?
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
:(
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was in the dying process.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom