Sick Isa brown

Lindyloo60

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2019
i have an Iza brown approximately 2 years old. She is standing around and is very quiet. Not eating much. Under her belly she has lost feathers and the skin is a bit red and warm. I believe she may have laid an egg yesterday which was almost white and long in shape. Different from what she usually would lay. I feed her laying pellets and a chicken scratch mix with wheat corn and such. They also get grass from weeding or that I pick fresh each day rolled oats and a bit of fruit and veg. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong. I felt her tummy it seemed ok not hard not soft

i have an Iza brown approximately 2 years old. She is standing around and is very quiet. Not eating much. Under her belly she has lost feathers and the skin is a bit red and warm. I believe she may have laid an egg yesterday which was almost white and long in shape. Different from what she usually would lay. I feed her laying pellets and a chicken scratch mix with wheat corn and such. They also get grass from weeding or that I pick fresh each day rolled oats and a bit of fruit and veg. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong. I felt her tummy it seemed ok not hard not soft
I'm sorry that your hen is not feeling well.

It would be a good idea to get a fecal float to check for worms, look her over for lice/mites too. Feel her crop when she goes to roost, it should be full, re-check again first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.
Where are you located in the world? Have you noticed if she's beginning to molt?

How much scratch/treats does she get compared to eating layer feed? The long shaped egg - is that normal for her (has she always laid long eggs)? Photo of the egg if you have it.
Have you ever had respiratory illness in your flock?

She could be starting to have some reproductive troubles, it's hard to know. The long egg keeps coming back to me - is she more fatty in the abdomen than your other hens?

I agree she may be starting reproductive troubles. Do you offer oyster shell on the side? She may be diluting her calcium with the treats. It’s also possible she’s just at the end of her laying cycle and heading into molt.

As Wyorp Rock already stated, fecal float and checking for crop function can sometimes help narrow things down.

It would be a good idea to get a fecal float to check for worms, look her over for lice/mites too. Feel her crop when she goes to roost, it should be full, re-check again first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.
Where are you located in the world? Have you noticed if she's beginning to molt?

How much scratch/treats does she get compared to eating layer feed? The long shaped egg - is that normal for her (has she always laid long eggs)? Photo of the egg if you have it.

She could be starting to have some reproductive troubles, it's hard to know. The long egg keeps coming back to me - is she more fatty in the abdomen than your other hens?

the long shaped egg isn’t normal, nor was the colour, I’m in Victoria Australia. I only have 2 chooks at the moment both isa browns which I’ve had for two years and I got them just before they started laying. I’m going to dust her for mites today, she is still eating a bit just not much

I agree she may be starting reproductive troubles. Do you offer oyster shell on the side? She may be diluting her calcium with the treats. It’s also possible she’s just at the end of her laying cycle and heading into molt.

As Wyorp Rock already stated, fecal float and checking for crop function can sometimes help narrow things down.
I have been giving her she’ll grit, however a hadn’t for a while, I’m still learning about chickens which is why I only have 2, I think she has been melting for a couple of weeks too.

the long shaped egg isn’t normal, nor was the colour, I’m in Victoria Australia. I only have 2 chooks at the moment both isa browns which I’ve had for two years and I got them just before they started laying. I’m going to dust her for mites today, she is still eating a bit just not much

I have been giving her she’ll grit, however a hadn’t for a while, I’m still learning about chickens which is why I only have 2, I think she has been melting for a couple of weeks too.
Look at her closely to see if she has new feathers coming in. Most hens also stop laying eggs during molt. Molt can make them feel unwell, so I would encourage her to eat her normal food, you can give her a bit of extra protein like egg, fish or meat as well. Cut back on scratch and other treats that aren't as nutrient dense and offer some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week.

Thank you to the people who answered. She has come good today. I did dust her yesterday as a just in case but she is back to being pushy hungry and full of energy

Back
Top Bottom