sick kid after cleaning out the coop

Lifetime chicken lover

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2009
Rogers, MN
Ok, so I know this forum is for sick chickens, but I'd like to find out if this has been a problem for anyone else.

My 5 year old son helped me clean out the chicken coop a few weeks ago. A few days later he developed a cough that seems to be getting progressively worse. They could be unrelated, but something tells me it isn't. I've read a lot about histoplasmosis lately, but what I usually see is that it happens after long-term contact with bird feces dust. Has anyone else had issues with coughing/allergies after cleaning the coop? I know everytime after I clean the coop, my nose is full of black dust that usually takes a few days to clear. This is the first time I've had the kids help me clean the coop. Since whooping cough is going around lately, I fear if I bring my son into the Dr. he'll just pump him full of antibiotics and I am really against the over-use of antibiotics that our society has, and would like to know if others have had issues with severe coughs after coop-cleaning. Is it possible he's developed an allergy?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There is always a chance of developing an allergy to anything we come in contact with. I myself have allergies and we were using hay as littler, big mistake, I would get runny nose, cough, mucus in ny lungs, headache. Oh the hay was yerrible, we have switched to straw and all is better. I am an herbalist myself and like to take care of everything naturally. You can try some chamomile tea with honey before bed and that will sooth the cough. I dont know if you have or can obtain herbs if so you can send me a message and I can help that way.
What ind of litter do you use??

When I clean the coop and a grandkids wants to help I have them wear this. I wear a face mask also. I got a horriable caugh one day after cleaning the poop board. I use PDZ on the board and my coop floor is dirt pine shavings and straw.
[=http://www.amazon.com/Kimberly-Clark-47127-Childs-Stretchable-Earloops/dp/B002HT28R0]
[/]

There are cheaper face mask for children but my 5 year old grand daughter does not throw a fit about wearing that one cause it's Disney lol

Last edited:
Thank you MsKay and maidenwolf. I will definitely be using face masks both for myself and the kids in the future. And yes, I have been treating the cough with my own mix of honey, lemon, and echinacea...to no avail.
I've been using store bought fine pine shavings lately, which I would never do again. But it was a recommendation from our local co-op where I bought our latest batch of chicks.
My son has a wellness exam coming up, so I will consult the Dr. then in the hopes that they do not give me that "bad parent" look again for not wanting to give my kids needless antibiotics.

Thank you MsKay and maidenwolf. I will definitely be using face masks both for myself and the kids in the future. And yes, I have been treating the cough with my own mix of honey, lemon, and echinacea...to no avail.
I've been using store bought fine pine shavings lately, which I would never do again. But it was a recommendation from our local co-op where I bought our latest batch of chicks.
My son has a wellness exam coming up, so I will consult the Dr. then in the hopes that they do not give me that "bad parent" look again for not wanting to give my kids needless antibiotics.

I absolutely understand,, I dont give mine any antibiotics either I treat here and they think I'm nuts. Oh well I always end up making them better..

Back
Top Bottom