Sick Lady Amherst, need help identifying problems

BambooBirds

Hatching
Feb 6, 2018
Hello,
I recently purchased a pair of Lady Amherst pheasants and had them shipped to me as there seems to be a lack of breeders in my area. I've had pheasants shipped before and never had any issues. Most orders arrived in 2 days as was the case with the Amhersts. Upon arrival the male was active and alert right out of the box but the female was the opposite. She was lethargic, barely opening her eyes and was in a hunched posture. I figured possible dehydration. She did start to eat and drink so I figured that she would get better but that was not the case. I did enrich the water with some broiler booster for electrolytes.

As far as I can tell there is no discharge from the nostrils, she isn't sneezing or making any vocalizations for that matter. Her stool seems fine, not runny or bloody so I thought maybe she is injured. She was slightly active in the run, walking around a bit and pecking at the ground but over all she does not look or behave well and it has been 6 days now with no improvement. She is super light weighing next to nothing when I pick her up to put her in the coop at night as she doesn't return on her own. When handling her I am gentle and tried to do an inspection of injuries but I couldn't tell but she didn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort when I was checking her.

Attached is a picture of what she looks like this morning. I'm afraid that if I don't figure this out today it will be to late. I have been in contact with the breeder to try and get more information but unfortunately he has yet to respond other than to state he would replace the bird if I lost her but I would rather save her as I hate having birds shipped due to all the stress and the inability to see the birds first hand. Unfortunately, as I stated before due to a lack of serious breeders where I live, San Diego, CA, I don't have much of a choice when it comes to expanding my collection.

Thanks so much in advance for the help, I have done searches already online and in this forum but haven't been able to find something out yet.

Attachments

• 20180206_074715.jpg
    20180206_074715.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 46
She may need to be wormed as they should be 2 times per year.You may have to pour it down her throat to make sure she is getting it,but do not get it down their wind pipe.It will kill them.I dose of duramycin wouldn't hurt also.
In N.H.,Tony.

Hello,
I recently purchased a pair of Lady Amherst pheasants and had them shipped to me as there seems to be a lack of breeders in my area. I've had pheasants shipped before and never had any issues. Most orders arrived in 2 days as was the case with the Amhersts. Upon arrival the male was active and alert right out of the box but the female was the opposite. She was lethargic, barely opening her eyes and was in a hunched posture. I figured possible dehydration. She did start to eat and drink so I figured that she would get better but that was not the case. I did enrich the water with some broiler booster for electrolytes.

As far as I can tell there is no discharge from the nostrils, she isn't sneezing or making any vocalizations for that matter. Her stool seems fine, not runny or bloody so I thought maybe she is injured. She was slightly active in the run, walking around a bit and pecking at the ground but over all she does not look or behave well and it has been 6 days now with no improvement. She is super light weighing next to nothing when I pick her up to put her in the coop at night as she doesn't return on her own. When handling her I am gentle and tried to do an inspection of injuries but I couldn't tell but she didn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort when I was checking her.

Attached is a picture of what she looks like this morning. I'm afraid that if I don't figure this out today it will be to late. I have been in contact with the breeder to try and get more information but unfortunately he has yet to respond other than to state he would replace the bird if I lost her but I would rather save her as I hate having birds shipped due to all the stress and the inability to see the birds first hand. Unfortunately, as I stated before due to a lack of serious breeders where I live, San Diego, CA, I don't have much of a choice when it comes to expanding my collection.

Thanks so much in advance for the help, I have done searches already online and in this forum but haven't been able to find something out yet.
Observing your pic, which isn't very good quality but from her appearence and what you stated above, I would suspect egg yolk peritonitis.

Back
Top Bottom