Sick layer- what do you think it is?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by minnesotachicken, Aug 4, 2010.

1. minnesotachicken

minnesotachicken Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    South Metro
    PHOENIX, my 1 year old red sexlink-

Normaly very active, this morning in the back of the coop- did not come out with other girls. At 2:00 this afternoon, still in coop. Went and got her- brought inside- gave cool bath- layed her in shade. Yesterday was VERY hot, but today was fine weather. No outward symptoms/ injuries, just lethargic and quiet, but still alert. I think she layed her egg while in the coop. ( Hers looks similar to one of the other girls eggs!) Than she pooped- white with light green tinge.

Still laying in same spot at 8:00 tonight- put her in tractor away from the others. Gave water with salt/potassium, sugar, and probiotic powder- she only took a few drinks, but otherwise has not ate/ drank. What do you think is wrong? What else can I do for her?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could tell you what is going on... hopefully someone else will have some insight.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh sorry to hear that....this is a guessing game really. Could she have eaten something poisonous? Could she have had a heat stroke?

4. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    All of my chickens look like that it's hotter than snot!

Could it be that she had a heat stroke? Maybe she is just really hot. Make sure she gets fluids until someone more educated comes along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by