Sick, Lethargic Hen

Dords

Chirping
Jan 26, 2015
New Zealand
Hi everyone. Newbie to backyard chicken raising......

We have just bought three 20 month old brown shavers home today. They have been free ranging on a farm.

When we put them in the coop, one couldn't stand up - though she's gradually gotten on to her feet, but is all hunched up and just wants to sleep.

Her crop is dirty (dark brown) and she isn't eating or drinking.

The seller said she was fine yesterday and laid as normal, but doesn't know if they've been wormed as she was selling on behalf.

Not sure where to start with helping her. We are going to put her in a warm bath for now and will check for egg binding, but don't know where to source things like anti-biotics, liquid calcium etc. and what the doses would be.

Any help gratefully received.

Most times I would think worms or cocci, so maybe you could start with that. Yes check for egg binding. Also, is she eating and drinking? Does her crop fill and empty at night?

Hi there - thanks for the replies

We have only just taken delivery of the hens today so haven't had time to monitor her poo.

We have put her in a warm bath and she is now standing, but seems to be asleep all the time - tail is down.

Not eating or drinking.

Should we assume it's cocci and treat for that and what do we use?

Cheers

Good morning folks.....

I have monitored chook overnight and she is now eating, drinking and clucking, though reluctant to move much.

We noticed her vent flexing and she has just laid an egg without a shell.

She's only done one dropping and it was green.

Hope the above may help narrow down the problem so we can take the necessary steps to get her back to normal.

Have a good day everyone...

Cheers

Thanks for replying - things are looking up a bit.

Chook is now acting almost normally - maybe needed to get rid of that rubber egg? She is holding one wing out though and we're thinking maybe she got hurt in transit and was stressed.

She's eating and drinking heaps and moving around more.

Anyone know where and how one gets antibiotics to have on hand? Can they be bought in NZ?

Thanks for replying - things are looking up a bit.

Chook is now acting almost normally - maybe needed to get rid of that rubber egg? She is holding one wing out though and we're thinking maybe she got hurt in transit and was stressed.

She's eating and drinking heaps and moving around more.

Anyone know where and how one gets antibiotics to have on hand? Can they be bought in NZ?
They have antibiotics at the feed store around here in the USA. I don't know about NZ. They sell them on internet as well, but I don't know the medication laws for NZ.

Back
Top Bottom