Sick looking Chicks

Ok. I will use the vinegar. So far everyone else looks good. I would think that a particular group was unhealthy, if they all came from the same group. But there are 3 that are from one hatch and 2 from another.

All BR's.

I don't know why some breeds react different than others. I had a bad cocci infection about a year ago with the 25 chicks I got from a hatchery. They all got sick, but the only ones that died were the golden sebrights. The others would have died if I didn't intervene, but I found it weird that one breed in particular was the quickest to go.

It may have something to do with the parent stock, but I wouldn't think all the sebrights would have the same parents if they were from a hatchery. It probably has something to do with the breed's genetics. I had barred rock bantams at the time of the incident and they all were fine, perhaps even the least effected by the cocci.

I got the vinegar, and will watch them now. They are all eating and drinking. The younger one looks the worst. Of the others in the group, I am watching the BR's. One other looks like it might need to be isolated.

When you had the coccidiosis how did you know that was what it was, and what did you do?

The smell on the sick ones is terrible.

And by the way, I was due to sell 20 of these chicks today. I am disappointed by the loss of income. But am glad he didn't take the sick ones, he has 200 birds himself. I would have felt really bad.

As has been mentioned, sugar water should only be used the first day after shipping to help boost energy. Used on a daily basis or more than a day or two, will cause diarreah. It could be what's causing the pasty butt and bad smell.

However, when I've had an outbreak of Cocci it was always preceeded with carmel colored poo and an awful, very distinctive smell. Later followed by bloody poo. Adding Sulmet to their water will kill the Cocci - feeding them medicated chick starter will help prevent it. I had a batch of 60 assorted breeds, about 3 weeks old, living in a large pen during the winter when they got Cocci, it was only a few of certain breeds that died, everyone else survived. Barred Rocks, however, are pretty stout birds, I turn mine loose to freerange at a week or two old and have never lost a one - but, they are from my own flock. It's the "fancy" breeds I've had trouble with.

Thanks for the help. I don't have any fancy breeds, just standard egg layers.

I stopped the sugar. Added a bit of apple cider vinegar and kid vitamins.

The poop that is sticking to their rears is mostly white. I haven't seen any blood. But they are staining to poop, and it looks painful. They cheep a lot when they are trying.

I have access to raw goat milk and have given them a tiny bit. Is that ok?

The weather here has been very warm, in the 70's. My 5 week olds and up are outside running around and look perfectly healthy. The sick ones are 3-4 weeks old, and still in the house.

My Buff Orps, Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds and Blk Sexlinks show no signs of sickness. But I am suspicious about a few more BR's.

I hope it is only the sugar. Thanks. This is traumatic.

You can give your little ones some plain yogurt too, but a little at a time. The good cultures in the yogurt will help them to poo better and will help to reregulate their bowels. A bit of banana would be beneficial also but not as good as the yogurt.

One more dead. And I pulled another from the flock. A Barred Rock again. I can smell whatever it is on them, and I know they are sick. This last one is not acting very sick, so I felt bad putting her with the others, but I didn't want to leave her to infect the healthy ones either.

What an ordeal. My hands are raw from washing.....

No more sick, good news. 6 got it, and 2 died. But the remaining 4 look like they might make it, especially the bigger 3. The 3 week old is still pretty miserable.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom