sick millie flure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by addicted2chics, Oct 14, 2013.

1. addicted2chics

addicted2chics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    I posted a picture of this bird to find out what kind it was. Everybody that posted said the bird looked sick. They advised me to post in this forum for advice. She is eating and drinking fine. I have added sav a chick probiotic and electrolites to her water just in case.

[​IMG]

Any advice?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, she does look sick. is her eye swelled shut? and have you noticed any really small bugs on her? mites.

3. addicted2chics

Jul 3, 2013
    No, her eyes are open fine, seem to be watery. I havent looked for mites but we found one with mites a few days ago. My wife treated all chickens, coops ans surrounding areas yesterday. The hen in the picture we just goy Saturday.

I am new to chickens and probably sound silly but what are symptoms of mites. The only reason i found the mites this time, I was moving chickens to new coop and noticed white bugs crawling on him. Not even sure it is mites, just figured it was.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know what the white powdery material around her eye is in the picture? Favus , a fungal infection, sometimes looks like that. Lotrimin or miconozole is the treatment. The eye is swollen, but have you noticed any bubbles in the eye, nasal or eye drainage, sneezing or other symptoms of a respiratory disease? Mycoplasma and other diseases can look like this. Here are some links toi click on for info: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/59/favus

https://www.google.com/search?q=fav...YJOKYyAHVkYGwCQ&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=655

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i would keep her isolated if its not to late

6. addicted2chics

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the links eggcessive. I looked through them and went back and looked at the hen. Couldnt match symptoms with the hen. I couldnt see any white powdery stuff today, may have been the lighting. I will watch her close and note any symptoms I see tomorrow with another pic.

Thanks granny hatchett for the advice.
    I have her and the other 3 chickens I got from the same lady in a seperate pen. I figure what ever she has, they have all been exposed to already. All the others are acting fine. She seems to act fine, eating and drinking normally.

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thats good, maybe just an eye injury. wait and see best

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    just wondered if millie was better or not?

9. addicted2chics

Jul 3, 2013
    Sorry, been out of town for a few days. For the last week, I have been mixing sav a chic in her water. Today she is running around the coop as if she never felt better.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by