Sick Muscovy hen

Fullplate farm

Hatching
May 25, 2024
Hello, I'm new here. I have a small flock of Muscovy. I recently moved 7 hens and two mails onto a penned orchard to allow our three broody hens to raise their ducklings without challenges from the rest of the flock.
That was almost two weeks ago. They are in a chicken tractor, have water to bathe in as well as fresh water to drink. The tractor moves often to keep them on clean ground. Two days ago a hen became anemic and the slowed down in her energy. She even allowed me to pick her up and carry her in at night because she wasn't keeping up with the others. This morning she came out of the tractor and didn't travel far before sitting down. A few hours later I found her in the same place dead. I called the usda vet on call, and was recommended to worm the flock, but after a little reading here, I see it's necessary to test first so I can treat specifically for what is found. I now have a second hen exhibiting anemia. Closely watching. Any idea what might be going on?
Thank you.

:welcome I’m sorry about you Muscovy's why do you say anemia? It would be a good idea to scrap up some poop and have the vet do a fecal then you could at least rule out worms. Any other symptoms? Any possibility of a toxin? You mentioned fresh water what about feed?

:welcome I’m sorry about you Muscovy's why do you say anemia? It would be a good idea to scrap up some poop and have the vet do a fecal then you could at least rule out worms. Any other symptoms? Any possibility of a toxin? You mentioned fresh water what about feed?
They have free access to layer pellets all day and free range in an organically raised orchard. The only change is that the hoses run for water are not rated for potable water. I will take in a fecal sample, but being a holiday weekend it will be Tuesday before that can happen.
As far as anemic, I say that because where they are usually deep red, they becoming light pink. It appears that most of the hens have this appearance now.

Are they laying? When my Muscovy aren’t laying their carnucles are pale. You could add some poultry cell to their water and give the one acting sick some by mouth. Any discharge from eyes, nares and they are all eating and drinking good?

They have free access to layer pellets all day and free range in an organically raised orchard. The only change is that the hoses run for water are not rated for potable water. I will take in a fecal sample, but being a holiday weekend it will be Tuesday before that can happen.
As far as anemic, I say that because where they are usually deep red, they becoming light pink. It appears that most of the hens have this appearance now.

Are they laying? When my Muscovy aren’t laying their carnucles are pale. You could add some poultry cell to their water and give the one acting sick some by mouth. Any discharge from eyes, nares and they are all eating and drinking good?
They were all laying. I will try to find some poultry cell tomorrow. Thank you

Update. No real change this morning other than the palest hen with what seems to be an eye injury, looked to have small bubbles over her eye, which is very closed up. Inner lid is functional. Used eye wash to give a good rinse and the after a minute or so treated with tetracycline ointment, everyone else is acting well. Eating and drinking. All the hens laid this morning. That's all to report for now

Do you have drakes in with these girls? sometimes when mounting them they can grab around the eye and cause an injury. Sounds like you got it cared for right away.

Back
Top Bottom