sick muscovy

MaysDuck

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 29, 2014
I am really worried about my muscovy. She showed up at our backyard pond about a year and a half ago. She is such a sweet duck.

We saw her sitting on a nest in May of this year after she was acting very private and odd. The is no drake around so her eggs did not hatch but she sat on them for quite a while.

She is free range and was not a home for a few days last week. When we noticed she had returned, she was acting very private again and thought she was getting ready to lay again. But now it has been a week and she isn't laying or sitting so I can only think something else is going on. Here is how she has been acting since she came back home last week:

Alot of head bobbing and turning.
Feathers very ruffled.
Dirty like she isn't taking a bath.
Doesn't come when she is called.
Haven't saw her eat.
Disoriented when walking like she is walking in a circle.
Stays in one place most of the day that we can tell.

We do not use any chemicals in our yard but since she wasn't at home for a few days could she have been poisoned or something like that. I fear she isn't going to make it but don't know what to do. Please help.

I am really worried about my muscovy. She showed up at our backyard pond about a year and a half ago. She is such a sweet duck.

We saw her sitting on a nest in May of this year after she was acting very private and odd. The is no drake around so her eggs did not hatch but she sat on them for quite a while.

She is free range and was not a home for a few days last week. When we noticed she had returned, she was acting very private again and thought she was getting ready to lay again. But now it has been a week and she isn't laying or sitting so I can only think something else is going on. Here is how she has been acting since she came back home last week:

Alot of head bobbing and turning.
Feathers very ruffled.
Dirty like she isn't taking a bath.
Doesn't come when she is called.
Haven't saw her eat.
Disoriented when walking like she is walking in a circle.
Stays in one place most of the day that we can tell.

We do not use any chemicals in our yard but since she wasn't at home for a few days could she have been poisoned or something like that. I fear she isn't going to make it but don't know what to do. Please help.
Sounds like something is going on, does she drink out of a specific waterer like a gal bucket? if so I'd get her some activated charcoal it's sold in the antacid isle in most Walmarts etc. open a capsule and mix into her bucket this will bind any toxin other than metal and help remove it from her system. There is a link to flushes I'll get that for you. While treating I would keep her contained so you know she is drinking this water and not from somewhere else. Head bobbing usually means hi there I'm ready for mating and it can be a greeting too. Feathers ruffled can mean a broody duck or sickness when broody they walk around looking for some butt to kick and screech alot. The disoriented and walking in circles isn't broody behavior. I'd do a flush asap. There are other flushes here and please follow direction to the T as they can cause dehydration if over done.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. She drinks out of the pond. I have her water down there but she drinks it when she is eating and then drinks the pond water otherwise. She is a rebel.

I will try the flush you mentioned. Thanks again. I hope she gets better. Poor thing.

Thank you for your help. She drinks out of the pond. I have her water down there but she drinks it when she is eating and then drinks the pond water otherwise. She is a rebel.

I will try the flush you mentioned. Thanks again. I hope she gets better. Poor thing.
I hope she does too, it's very important she only have this flush while treting though, so she gets enough to flush the toxin out of her system. Please keep us updated. Maybe you can lure her in with something tasty she likes.

Just an update. I tried the activated charcoal and haven't saw much change. I don't know if she has had any today as she is just sitting on a log in the pond with her head down and her bill is touching her chest, which is exactly where she was this morning. When I went to visit her this morning to check on her, it seemed as if I woke her up, which has never happened before. Usually she is super excited to see me and comes running when she is called. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of duck behavior?

Just an update. I tried the activated charcoal and haven't saw much change. I don't know if she has had any today as she is just sitting on a log in the pond with her head down and her bill is touching her chest, which is exactly where she was this morning. When I went to visit her this morning to check on her, it seemed as if I woke her up, which has never happened before. Usually she is super excited to see me and comes running when she is called. Has anyone else ever experienced this type of duck behavior?
I'm thinking she is sick, she's either eaten something or maybe having egg laying problems. Theres no way you can pen her up so you can monitor how much of the activated charcoal she is drinking. Have you seen any eggs for her lately?

Back
Top Bottom