sick ones

i have a game hen that is isolated. she is about a year old. been eating scratch and layer. in my hen coop. has 10x20 running range and 10x12 nesting area. she got sick yesterday. went out this morning and a rir hen was dead. didnt see that one sick. i have tylan 50 on hand. not sure what to get. also in a separate coop{bantam coop} i just lost two gold seabright 4month olds that started with drooped featers and stopped eating and drinking then got swollen around their head and eyes. they also looked like they had allergies or sinus. then game hen appears to be the only one sick today.

It does sound like something respiratory. I don't have any experience with that really, I do keep injectible tylan 50 on hand just in case though. Can you get some antibiotics? I would guess that they need this asap. I think you would at least need tylan 200 as this has gone on for awhile.

Found this on another site. tylan is injectible and probably faster acting for it. You can inject under the skin at the back of the neck. This person gives it orally but they need to get all of each dose, very hard if they are not eating are drinking.
"If you have, say, a 1.3 kg bird and you want to know how much tylan to give it at a dose of 35 mg/kg. You know that you need to multiply 35 mg x 1.3 as this is the weight (in kg) of the bird. This tells you that your bird needs (35mg/kg x 1.3kg = 45.5 mg). Now you know how many mg you bird needs, but how much tylan is that? Well, if there's 200 mg/ml in tylan 200, then (you can use cross-multiplication too for this) divide 200 mg/ml into 45.5 mg to tell you how many ml you need. 45.5 mg / 200 mg/ml = .2275 ml which is 0.23 cc or 23 units. On a 1 cc syringe, it is very easy to measure out 23 units of tylan. Then you would give this orally, three times per day. I suggest orally, because poking your chicken in the breast muscle three times per day can damage the muscle and cause bruising etc. If you draw up the drug, ALWAYS use a sterile syringe and needle and don't use the same syringe to draw it up as the one you use to squirt it into their mouths - I prefer to mix the drugs with babyfood to help it taste a little better."

sad.png
my hen died over night. i have a frizzle hen that seems to be getting swollen around her face and eyes. i have injected her with the tylan200. i have about 180 birds from 3 weeks up to over 2 years old. i was told i could inject their water with the tylan. should i try this or preventively inject each bird?

Back
Top Bottom