Sick? or Dusting instinct? - 3 wk chick

arosenzweig

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2014
Sick? or Dusting instinct?

Our "Coco" a nearly 3 wk old silkie-mix, started doing a different behavior that looks like she is sick. It happened earlier today and then she snapped out of it. Now about 2 hours later it happened again and I took a video:

0.jpg

Does that look like she is sick or just practicing how to dust herself? It frightens me because we lost "Sunny" or Wyandotte this past Sunday within 19 hours of discovering some unusual systems (but they were slightly different). This was the thread of "Sunny's" behavior before she left us:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rooping-trouble-walking-still-eats-and-drinks

Here is another clip of this scary behavior (Is it "play" dusting or is she sick?):

0.jpg

Here Coco is looking rather normal just moments after the unusual behavior. She starts eating.

0.jpg

Now, just after eating, while I was typing up this message, Coco flew up to the top of the box and then onto to the floor to explore the living room.

0.jpg

When Coco does this strange behavior she also scratches. I can hear it and I've seen it. She also does this in her chick grit. Should I start Duramycin or is she basically normal?

She's a real warrior. Very adventurous and a bit bossy. But she's also very talkative and sweet. We don't want to lose her.
Any help appreciated,
-- Aaron

It really looks to me like a chick that wants to dust bath. From what I can see she looks and acts pretty normal otherwise and obviously feels well enough to fly out of her box and investigate other surroundings lol! I do think she'd just like a nice dust bath. Those sure are some big feet on that little bird, wonder if you have a roo there?

Edited to add: I did read your other post about the one that died. I noted you said you were giving distilled water? I would just give them regular tap water. Distilled water is completely devoid of minerals and I believe I have read that it can even leach minerals from them. Please do not quote me on that lol, just something to consider and do further research on.

Last edited:
She is normal! Aww new parent worries....Wait until they're outside in the sunshine and they do that. They spread out, wings an all to get that warm sun on their bodies.....They will do that in dirt and sand as well, as you say, dust bathing.

Gosh she's cute!

Back
Top Bottom