1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick . . . .or molting for 3 months . ..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Nov 7, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    So my hens stopped lay and started molting around the end of august, . . . .they are STILL LOOSING FEATHERS (I cleaned the coop full of feathers . . .and its full again) !!

They started their somewhat on time, almost a month late. They are 2 white cochin hens, they are 1year+4months.

these are my first chickens . . .they molted normally last year. So what do you think.

Oh ! and they haven't layed either

2. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    same situation here. . . [​IMG]
    First moult for mine so I am just learning at this point.

Feathers everywhere, pale combs. . . no eggs

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    They molt at different rates. As long as they seem to be healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. You might want to give them a good once over to rule out mites/lice and if you're concerened about worms it's a good time to take care of that as well since by the time they start laying well again you'll be past the withdrawl time. I like to bump the protein up for my molting birds too. Growing feathers takes a lot of protein so I think it makes sense to give them some extra while they're molting.

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    can i give them dog food for protein ??

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Just a little. Better are BOSS or game bird feed (as treats or mixed in) or just plain old meat. I get a big can of canned mackerel at the grocery for about $1.50, and they do love it. Leftovers and meat scraps from the table are good.

I have one that still is just now getting feathers back, another that looks motheaten and is still dropping them, and in the last couple of days, all of a sudden there are feathers all over -- of a different color, so there goes another one. You're not alone.

You could also switch to grower or starter or whatever is available, next time you run out of layer. Just keep some oyster shell available. The ones who aren't laying don't need the layer anyway.

Dog and cat food are formulated for them and really aren't the best for other species. Of course my dogs eat any leftover cat food, and the cat competes with the dog for dog food.... Not as bad as the dog eating the chicken poop, I guess....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by