sick or not sick

Is there anyway I can get the room to stop doing it,I don't want to have to find him new home even then how would I know he wouldn't do it in a new home so is there anyway to get him to stop that don't mean me going and sitting there with squirter bottle like I did with my dog to get him to stop
This is only page four so I have more catching up to do...

Your BOY is NO rooster yet.... allowing time for maturity along with placing in a proper sized flock is the best way to help ensure balding won't happen. Beyond that it is up to the next owners what they do with the birds and how they manage their flock.

Your's will be more peaceful without a COCKEREL in it. And since you aren't allowed to have them anyways, best to rehome.

Guess I better stop right there and read up...

so someone told my husband that I have to get rid of the hens with bald spots but I would rather get rid of the big roo,do I have to take out those hens with bald spots on heads
Still catching up... :oops:

Politely tell hubby... to get rid of his advisers with bald spots in their understanding about chicken dynamics! ;)

Your BOY is NO rooster yet.... allowing time for maturity along with placing in a proper sized flock is the best way to help ensure balding won't happen. Beyond that it is up to the next owners what they do with the birds and how they manage their flock.

Your's will be more peaceful without a COCKEREL in it. And since you aren't allowed to have them anyways, best to rehome.

Guess I better stop right there and read up...[/Qwerty are allowed to have roosters I live in a farming community and i[/Q

I have 2 roosters we are allowed to have them ,my problem is he's being aggressive towards my hands I have caught him grabbing them on top of there heads were the bald spots are he is also grabbing them with his claws on there backs I'll post pitchure,but my other question is do u think that it's from them not commingled out of coop it started when we got the snow storm they wouldn't come out for 3 days I had there door open but they would not come out and when they did they were bald on top, but I do not have a Cockrell I have rooster,

I have 2 roosters we are allowed to have them ,my problem is he's being aggressive towards my hands I have caught him grabbing them on top of there heads were the bald spots are he is also grabbing them with his claws on there backs I'll post pitchure,but my other question is do u think that it's from them not commingled out of coop it started when we got the snow storm they wouldn't come out for 3 days I had there door open but they would not come out and when they did they were bald on top, but I do not have a Cockrell I have rooster,
Males less than 1 year old are cockerels. Much like teenage boys. Don't quite know how to treat the ladies & raging hormones.

Holding on trying to get their balance is not the same aggressive. Like two crows said that is a learning curve. What you caught him doing was clumsily mating because he is still young. ALL roosters grab the tops of the head and the saddle area.

I thought you said they were under a year old? Maybe I misread or am getting it confused with another thread. If they are under a year old...
Got them back in April about 8 months old not even a year ,
That is a cockerel. The term rooster is (technically) saved for boys who are over a year old. Significant changes have yet to take place. Their mind and their bodies are still very much changing at that age. The term rooster or cockerel may be irrelevant in everyday conversation. But when taking about behavioral issues that include the raging hormones of juveniles it is completely relative. So please accept this as friendly sharing. And now you learned a new term. :) I must have misunderstood about you not being allowed to have them. My suggestion with the other information I read would still be the same.

I think them being too young to have that many boys in with that many girls could have been exaggerated by the storm keeping them in and creating boredom... adding to balding being noticed sooner. The young boys always run to the side of another flock mate mating a girl. They will take turns if there is enough of them to hold her down.

Yah there less than a year old,so it's due to still learning but will it stop it only started when the really bad cold came in,I'm going to try hanging some food first someone said maybe a tennis ball or lettuce corn on cob I really feel bad and still trying to figure what to do either get rid of the roo or just try something to occupie them just hard when they won't come out if it snows or too cold

Yah there less than a year old,so it's due to still learning but will it stop it only started when the really bad cold came in,I'm going to try hanging some food first someone said maybe a tennis ball or lettuce corn on cob I really feel bad and still trying to figure what to do either get rid of the roo or just try something to occupie them just hard when they won't come out if it snows or too cold
It may not stop right away since it is a learning curve. Getting rid of the extra boy should definitely help. I honestly doubt that enrichment things or boredom busters will alter this. The boys really seem to be very spry first thing in the morning and right before roost.

Plus it will take a little while for the feathers to come back. My younger boys usually only get access to the ladies once per week or so. That way they can get SOME practice without too much feathers missing. As they become more mature they slowly gain more access.

I have to say though that if it is bothering you... maybe let him go. Don't let it still your joy! I think these were oops boys that you were supposed to get pullets. It really is a challenge to have boys in the flock if you aren't used to it. And it isn't for everybody. Very often roosters are just a sacrifice to a predator instead of actual protection for the hens. So I wouldn't let that be my reason for keeping. You can always add a rooster (or cockerel) later on if you decide you'd like to try again. And cockerels will even do better when added to older hens that aren't their same age. Because older hens usually put them in check and make them gain some manners. But gals of the same age aren't yet as confident as the older ladies.

I doubt a tennis ball will have much effect. Lettuce may freeze rapidly. Corn is always a hit. Some people also try broccoli or cauliflower or maybe even something like a flock block hung just out of reach so they have to jump for it. Some even drill holes in a plastic bottle type thing for the chickens to kick around and dispense treats. I just caution not to overdo the treats because it can cause more issues then it solves.

Also if you don't have any visual barriers inside your coop, they can help if you have room. Kinda like out of sight out of mind.

We all have to face these difficult decisions sometimes. Wanting to give certain birds a chance and not act to swiftly. But sometimes you just have to go with your gut instead of your heart. While I may have wondered what if at times... I have NEVER regretted that difficult decision yet. So you are NOT alone, and I'm glad you didn't take my post as mean! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom