sick or not sick

Pics
Since my last post we have noticed that there feathers are growing back,since it's been nice enough for them to leave there coop there a lot better I think from staying in and not wanting to come out had a lot to do with it but there doing better
I'm glad to hear it, we've got sun here today to! :wee

Did you happen to let your extra boy go to a new home also?

No still have him see my has some medical issues and he really loves his animals and the 2 boy is the smallest he wasn't the aggressive one it was my big boy but we decided to see if things would change they don't fight at all there attached at hip there weird birds lol but the hens are doing great the feathers are growing back and ppl keep saying that they don't lay much in winter,mine are laying so much I pulled 24 eggs out in one day everyday we collect the eggs ,it did stop when it dropped to the teens, but it's a lot of eggs and there happy birds and for some strange reason one of the hens decided she wanted to fly up onto my arm and chill she never does this she's the head hen so maybe there is something in there water lol but no I still have all 12 for now but we will see what happens in next couple weeks if it starts to get bad again were going to just build another coop for the males

ppl keep saying that they don't lay much in winter
Completely depends on a lot of things...

Laying is light related... more light equals more eggs. But they are also regulated by genetics, age, nutrition, and flock dynamics. Young birds will LAY IT UP in my experience.

Your boys may or may not get along in the long run. Sometimes a switch flips and they decide to fight it out regardless of how tight they've been so far. Whole other times there won't be an issue one. We've all had friends that we just have a fight with and work it out and some that we never see each other again. I had one switch to chasing and relentless aggression take place between 2 boys that were perfectly fine together for a very LONG time. When I saw it I stepped in put the chase to the chaser and provided a short time out. The saying a good offense makes a good defense has rang SOO true for me in so many areas and this happens to be one of them. They never had another problem and the lower boy actually went to a home and got a flock of his own without me even trying! Sometimes it won't resolve that easily... because hormones are strong. But each situation will be different. Learning to roll with it and how to communicate on a level they understand is a process.

A second coop is a nice option to have! And if your'e gonna be hatching or getting more possibilities of boys, almost essential.

That's awesome that a hen hung out with you! :love It's amazing to see some of the changes that take place as the birds mature or as flock changes happen. I often see a new friendliness in birds that never noticed me when I have flock reductions. I love mature hens and roosters so much more than chicks and teens. An odd unexpected conclusion! :)

Animals can be such healing therapy for our many issues. So glad that you know your flock is healthy and don't need to fear any loss (currently, it will happen if you keep them long enough). Even then I believe it helps us as children to learn how to deal with the passing of our loved ones in our future. Only reason I can figure why we outlive so many pets... :hmm

Anyways, best wishes. I hope your family and flock are both blessed beyond your wildest dreams! :D

Thank u I really appreciate all your help but we did get rid of the smaller rooster my husband spent the day out at coop with the birds he's tight with a few,but he noticed that a few were getting worse with the feather loss and my bird chicken little she's smaller and likes to nest was getting the worst of it from the little roo,so we Had no choice he was just getting way to aggressive even after we put him in his own coop with couple of hens cuz we were not sure which one it was but he definitely was bad really bad,I feel bad but even if I removed him I don't think he would have gotten better he was just aggressive didn't like to share the food or treats and for some reason started attacking the 3 hens we had him with,so we have on roo know and hoping in few weeks time that there feathers will grow bk but I really appreciate all the help and I'm hoping that when the Eagles come bk this year he still has it in himself to keep those birds in check too

Back
Top Bottom