Sick parakeet

Lady507

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!! I have 2 parakeets one of them is 10 years old and the other is 6 about to be 7. They both live in an aviary with 2 other lovebirds and they have plenty of perches and things to perch on. The 6 year old parakeet has been acting more slow lately and today I caught her having difficulty flying. She tried to go to the other side of her aviary but seemed to kind of fall and get very tired as she got to the perch. She has also had a sore like on one of her legs (she’s had it for a while and I’ve tried healing it but she gets very stressed whenever she’s handled, so I try doing it as least as possible although it’s gotten a bit better). Another thing is that these past few weeks her vent seems to be getting dirty and poop sticks to it so I have to manually remove it at times. As I looked at her today I feel like her body under is more hard than usual and the skin seems very dark under the feathers. Despite all this she still eats and drinks water fine. My main question is if anyone has ever experienced something like this with another parakeet and whether it’s worth trying to help her or should I let her be and just try to keep her as comfortable as possible? Also her and the other parakeet are always together so if she were to sadly pass away although hopefully not would it be recommended to get him a buddy, I’m worried he might get depressed. Thanks for the help o appreciate it, especially if you read my rant 😊

Last edited:
It doesn't sound good. Sounds like something internal going on. I'm not sure what you could do to help it without taking it to a vet to see if they can figure it out exactly what's going on.

Parakeets live in large flocks, so if you want another if you lose this one than I would get one or even a couple more if you are wanting them.

It doesn't sound good. Sounds like something internal going on. I'm not sure what you could do to help it without taking it to a vet to see if they can figure it out exactly what's going on.

Parakeets live in large flocks, so if you want another if you lose this one than I would get one or even a couple more if you are wanting them.
Thanks for answering, I am going to look up the avian clinics around me and see about where I can possibly take her is just that there are very few and the ones around are crazy expensive but I’ll try my best. I’ll definitely try to get some more parakeets maybe adopt some just cause I’m scared the older one might become depressed. Thanks for the advice I greatly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom