Sick pea hen laying eggs need help

I've read that peahens only need 1 1/2% to 3% calcium in their diet, much more and it is hard on the birds and especially the cocks. That is why the oyster shell is better to offer them than making the cocks eat high amounts of calcium in the feed. Kathy is quite right about the need for a proper balance in the feed but be careful to not cause an imbalance with too much of any one thing.

I have a breeding pen with eight hens and two cocks that recently laid a very thin shelled egg, it broke in the nest box when another egg fell on it while being laid. I too was surprised to see how much of the oyster shell disappeared in the two weeks that followed.

In your case you need to take more drastic action with the hen laying soft eggs if you can catch just her and maybe put her in a small cage for easy dosing for a few days. I think that you have done a good job with what you are doing and you should see hard-shelled eggs in no time.

The first hen that was having all the problem stopped laying but recovered fully. and the second hen is about to lay her second egg probably by morning or so as I will soon find out. 3 and 4 notta wing drop. They have gone through almost 10lbs of oyster shell in just a couple days. The male loves the crumble and takes mouthful bites out of the piles I leave for all of them and also is eating the oyster shell. I have to find a lay pellet as suggested as well when I go get more oyster shell. I guess if I find a solid egg tomorrow I know its working, thanks for all the help

It looks pretty normal but by the looks of it they need more food the poop normally is more held together or dense if you can i would give my peacocks and hens bread, at least some a day otherwise just make sure theyare eating enough it could just mean they arent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom