SICK PEACOCK, HEN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guyeshepherd, Oct 22, 2014.

1. guyeshepherd

guyeshepherd New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    Can anyone tell me what they think my birds have? I lost a pheasant to something that the vet couldn't identify, just said that it was dying from liver failure and put it down.
    Now I've got a juvenile peacock and a hen, in a different part of the yard, that might be suffering from the same thing: weakness, thin, unable to walk. They eat fine, poop appears normal color but runny. I have been treating the peacock with oxytetracyline, not really doing anything. Should I treat them for worms?

2. Mulberry

Mulberry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    Romania
    I would say yes definitely, and consult your vet its the best thing you could do if your vet not as helpful as should be find a new vet. It's seems they got something nasty.
    (My vet comes to the house even if I call her at night) .

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When my peafowl are sick I treat for many things all at once.

• Coccidiosis with Corid
    • Worms with Safeguard
    • Blackhead with metronidazole
    • E.coli with Baytril

Once they get to a point where they can't walk and are thin they are usually very close to dying, so I would call your vet and talk to him about the four thing I mentioned. I also provide supportive care with tubed and subcutaneus fluids, and once hydrated, tubed baby bird food.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by