Sick Pekin Duck

DuckCommander

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Alberta
I have a 6 month old female Pekin duck - "Pig". We recently moved our three ducks and one goose in with the chickens in the coop for the winter. They were with them for two days and on the second day (today) we walked into the coop to find her near the door with the chickens walking all over her unable to walk and weak. She is able to move both legs and they are the same temperature. We took her out and put her by herself with food and water this morning. This evening she is looking very depressed, not much energy, doesn't eat fruit out of my hand like she normally does, she eats it but not very enthusiasticly like normal. I put electrolyte/vitamin mix in her water and she has free access to some more fruit and barley. I also put her friends back in with her to keep her company because she is not herself. I am pretty worried about my lil "Pig" and wondering if there is anything else I should be doing? I do not access to vets with much avian knowledge. Please help!

Last edited:
A vet around here unfortantely is not an option. I work at the vet clinic in the area and both vets told me that they don't know how to help me with chickens and ducks.

I looked up the avian vets in Alberta and there 5 clinics, 4 are 8 hours away and one is 3. I can't imagine they'll give phone advice but I can give it a shot in the morning....

Last edited:
Poor Little Pig the duck. Try giving a call to the vet offices and see if they will give some advice. It sounds difficult to determine what is going on with her. If you notice any more symptoms, post them here. Maybe that will help us figure out what is going on with her.

I have a 6 month old female Pekin duck - "Pig". We recently moved our three ducks and one goose in with the chickens in the coop for the winter. They were with them for two days and on the second day (today) we walked into the coop to find her near the door with the chickens walking all over her unable to walk and weak. She is able to move both legs and they are the same temperature. We took her out and put her by herself with food and water this morning. This evening she is looking very depressed, not much energy, doesn't eat fruit out of my hand like she normally does, she eats it but not very enthusiasticly like normal. I put electrolyte/vitamin mix in her water and she has free access to some more fruit and barley. I also put her friends back in with her to keep her company because she is not herself. I am pretty worried about my lil "Pig" and wondering if there is anything else I should be doing? I do not access to vets with much avian knowledge. Please help!
I know she is 6months and usually niacin diff start earlier but I'd give her some niacin anyway, sure can't hurt at this point. plain niacin tab or capsules sprinkled over her water. or Brewers yeast sprinkled over her food. B rewers yeast not baking yeast. Hope lil Pig is doing better this morning.

No, no bumblefoot I checked both feet. No changes yet with electroyltes and vitamins. I brought her into the house this evening so that I can better observe her eating and drinking and discovered that she has lettuce green colored diarrhea. I am thinking of trying some sort of antibiotic tomorrow. Does the diarrhea give anyone any clue as to what kind of antibiotic or other I should do?

I second the niacin, my jumbo Pekin gal was acting the same way last year (she was 2 yrs old at the time) I ground up niacin tablets into some diced boiled eggs and she gobbled up...she was up and walking within the hour but I kept her in the pen with more crushed niacin in her water along with extra fresh greens.

Michelle

What does she eat? You mentioned barley and fruit. Does she get a balanced ration?

Has she started laying? Does she get free choice oyster shell?

Is her belly swollen or squishy feeling?

I second the niacin, my jumbo Pekin gal was acting the same way last year (she was 2 yrs old at the time) I ground up niacin tablets into some diced boiled eggs and she gobbled up...she was up and walking within the hour but I kept her in the pen with more crushed niacin in her water along with extra fresh greens.

Michelle
I'll give that a try if I can find it! Would probably be ok to give her neomycin at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom