Sick Pekin Duck

She is maybe 2. We have another female. Her sister and a male. She can stand. She tends to eat an drink very little. Started about a week ago. Just getting worse. I seen 2 cats outside today which are strays. I'm wondering if she got attacked? She has no strength in her neck

You'd typically see signs of an attack by a cat because they use their claws and teeth. You also wouldn't typically see progressive worsening from an animal attack unless it caused an infection. Do you mean you always eats and drinks very little, or only since this started? Does she seem to be in any pain?

Please send us anything you can think of from the time this started. Are you able to take her to a vet? Things like this can be very hard to guess at.

No she is eating and drinking less for sure. I put her in a warm bath, even watched tons of you tubing about checking very carefully for egg bounding. She hasn't laid an egg in over a week or two? I'm not seeing any eggs. :(. Then I added some Epson salt to he water and she had all green watery stool. I cannot pay for a vet at this time. :(. Just at a loss at this time.

Can you afford the cost of a stool sample? That is less than an exam. Just a thought.

Meanwhile, I might get her started on antibiotics, something about this - just a guess - has me thinking she has an infection.

I would love other experienced duck people to weigh in on this thought. If it is an infection, starting treatment soon is important.

Last edited:
Can you afford the cost of a stool sample?  That is less than an exam.  Just a thought.

Meanwhile, I might get her started on antibiotics, something about this - just a guess - has me thinking she has an infection.

I would love other experienced duck people to weigh in on this thought.  If it is an infection, starting treatment soon is important.

Yes I can do that. However she has not been passing anything today that I seen :( she's not doin well tonight. Just laying down with her head flat. Makes me so sad. Ugh. If we are lucky tomorrow I'll do the stool sample.

Yes I can do that. However she has not been passing anything today that I seen
sad.png
she's not doin well tonight. Just laying down with her head flat. Makes me so sad. Ugh. If we are lucky tomorrow I'll do the stool sample.
That sounds to me like it could be caused by egg binding. Are you able to very gently flip her over and examine the vent?

Activated charcoal is what can be used to absorb toxins in the gut. I emphasize food grade because I have a nightmare - that someone will read too quickly, and try to give their duck a blasted charcoal briquette used for grilling, and poison the poor duck.

You may also notice when I refer to clear iodine, I write it this way: "clear - clear - iodine"

This is activated carbon. Found at the pet store in the fish department. She is showing improvement for sure but even before this carbon. The pet place said carbon is the same as charcoal. ???

Back
Top Bottom