sick plymouth hen > 6 months old has white diarrhoea, laid strange egg

goodmorningchickens

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
sick, barred plymouth type hen at least 6 months old has whitish diarrhoea, she has a clean nose and eyes, still eats well but drinks less, she seems to not be loosing weight and is still energetic but she starting seperating herself from the other chickens. We got her a month or two ago, her real age unknown. hasn't laid an egg until now and that same day her insides protruded out of her vent. we cracked the egg open to find it seemingly normal except odd acorn sized white lumpy clump, seperate from yolk. She has starting to walk funny, like a person constipated. we are new at this. the vet is unnfortunately not an option. is there anything we can do? We seperated her from the other chickens she is currently in a cage. we are considering letting her free range in a seperate location from the other chickens. we don't want to kill her unless that is the right thing to do. your help is appreciated. give her asprin or no?

Basically I'm just bumping this up for you cause I don't know. I wouldn't give her anything like aspirin just yet, but probably would separate her from the others but in a pen where she can still see and hear them. There are many qualified people on here to give you advice, but you can also try the chicken doctor at www.firststatevetsupply.com, he is not a vet but has been around a long time and can probably give you a good idea. You can either try to call him (he charges $20.00 for phone advice, I think) or subscribe to his website and post it on a forum, like here, and wait for someone to answer you.

By the way, his advice forum is www.featherfanciers.com.
hmm.png

Has she laid an egg today? Gentley massage her stomach and see if you can feel an egg. I'm wondering about being egg bound. I've never dealt with it but, there are others here who have. If you feel an egg in there you can use the search feature (in blue line above) and type in egg bound and see what you can find. I would say keep her separated and warm.

no eggs and now she is not eating or hardly drinking we let her out to freerange for a bit maybe a half hour. she is outside in a cage so she can see the rest of the flock.

a few weeks ago someone laid an egg that was just rubbery shell, i think it was her and she has only laid one since and that was the day her insides protruded outside her vent. She has been oozing ever since. as far as her abdomen she hasn't changed since we got her, but maybe it's been swollen the whole time. she's a big chicken but i can't tell if she is swollen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom