sick pullet - advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickengirlK, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ChickengirlK

ChickengirlK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I am new to chickens. Just got my girls last weekend! I have two 23 week olds and five 6 wk olds. Today my little 6 week old Easter Egger wouldn't move, just sat there and slept. I kept an eye on her, but after a few hours of her not moving I decided she was sick and put her in a dog carrier to separate her from the others. I have her in my garage Vs out at the coop. Her back is a bit bare. She's very lethargic. I was able to hold some crumble up to her and she pecked it a couple times. Later she ate on her own a little, but she isn't drinking. I tried to give her some water but she won't drink. My Tractor supply had no medicines for chickens! I'm afraid she's not going to make it. All the others seem fine, but so did she yesterday! I do think she was at the bottom of the pecking order, but the other little ones were always nice to her.
    In addition to this I've found bloody wood shavings in the coop yesterday and today. It just looks bloody, real red, no poop, etc... I have one laying, and I think it's her. She seems fine otherwise.
    Oh goodness, I'm STRESSED! I don't have a clue what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks so much!

2. mrscbass

mrscbass Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Utah
    This exact thing happened to my hen today. She died early this morning- not exactly sure what was the cause. She was perfectly healthy last night and she was dead by 10:30 this morning. Some people suggested giving the rest of my flock Cordin (a type of medication) just in case. Good luck and hope she fairs better than mine!

3. ChickengirlK

Jul 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Thank you mrscbass. I just went to check on my girl and she was dead. So sad. I think I'll try to find that Cordin tomorrow. That and clean out the coop. Oh dear, what a "welcome" to chicken keeping :-( So sorry to hear you lost one too.

4. mrscbass

Aug 8, 2013
    Utah
    I am sooo sorry for your loss. After she died I went out in the coop and disinfected everything. Hopefully it is isolated to the one hen, time will tell. I am curious to see how your flock is in the next few days. Good luck ChickengirlK.

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like she had coccidiosis. Blood in stool is a sign and the lethargy.
    What you are looking for is Corid. You can find it at feed supply stores. It's not likely to be with the poultry supplies though. I think it is used with other livestock. The dosage is 9.6 ml per gallon for five days for chickens. Now your older hens may not need it unless you see blood in their stool. Usually by that age they have developed an immunity but young ones like the one you lost are at risk. They may need to be re treated in the future, just keep an eye out for blood and any that aren't active or have pale combs etc. Also the egg you found was likely from the older birds as six weeks old is too young to lay.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  6. ChickengirlK

Jul 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks so much. The hen that is laying is my 23 week old. She is the one that I think has the blood issue, but it was not in her stool, it was in the bedding near where she lays her eggs. I haven't seen blood anywhere else in the coop or run. She looks fine otherwise, hopefully everyone will be okay when I open the coop in the morning.
    I think I'll try the corid for all of them just to be safe, I'll look for it first thing tomorrow after I clean the coop. Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice.

7. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    I am very sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  8. mrscbass

Aug 8, 2013
    Utah
    So this morning I found two more blood spots in the coop so it looks like one or more of my hens is sick in addition to yesterday's. hopefully I got them on Corid fat enough. Time will tell. Hope you are fairing well this morning.

9. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    It is not unusual for a little blood to be found on a pullets first eggs, fyi. Now if the blood is in the poop, then yes, just to be safe I would put them on Corid. I would toss the eggs during treatment and for a couple of weeks after treatment to be safe.

10. mrscbass

Aug 8, 2013
    Utah
    We didn't find blood on the eggs she layed just in her poops. She didn't lay the day she died but she did the day before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by