Sick pullet, please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EdistoChicks, Nov 1, 2010.

1. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    I have a pullet that has had a rough couple of weeks. First she got a beak injury and lost the front tip of her upper beak. Shortly after that she started wheezing and seeming like she has lost her voice. When I picked her upside down to make sure she didn't have something stuck in her throat I noticed that she had yellow liquid oozing from her vent. I put her on some tetracycline, not sure what to think. I have isolated her from the flock.

2. nellynsally

nellynsally Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I'm not sure. But I think that posting this in the afternoon might be a tough time to get a reply. I hope this will bump your post up to get you some help..Best of luck with your pullet!

3. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Was the yellow liquid kinda what scrammbled eggs look like before they are cooked?

Just trying to help here.

4. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    Yes, they did. She laid an egg yesterday but not today. It has been sporadic for the last week and a half.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    She may have had an egg bust inside...could have been soft shelled. I had one that had fluid coming out of her vent and her vent kept working like it was trying to expell the egg. I put mine in a warm comfortable sink full of water and soaked her body for a half hour or so. You may have to warm the water up as you go. I didn't think it would be easy as she isnt the tamest chicken I have but she really liked it. After a bit she started dunking her head in the water and drinking. She had the best time. I dried her off with a blow dryer and put her back on the roost to sleep. By morning she had passed the broken egg remains. I just read another post on here that put the chicken in a steamy bathroom instead of in water and it helped too. Not sure what to do if that doesn't work for you.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by