Sick pullet, possibly Coccidiosis--Need advice fast!

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
One of my 9-month old bantam pullets is ill. A few days ago, she started acting lethargic, but I assumed that was due to bullying by one of my other pullets. She started eating less, though, so I finally isolated her. Yesterday, she hardly ate anything, not even mealworms (her favorite). Apparently this has been going on for a while because she is much lighter than my other pullets. She is drinking a lot of water, despite her lack of appetite. Her droppings are watery and greenish in color; I assume that is because she isn't eating much.

Her symptoms (lethargy, lack of appetite), along with the fact that I've been letting her outside more often (therefore she may have been exposed to more organisms) makes me think that she could have Coccicidois. So, I started her on 9.6% Corid liquid yesterday at a dosage of 1/2 teaspoon liquid per quart of water. I've put probiotics in her water, but no vitamins because those can interfere. Thus far, she hasn't really improved, but in my experience, it can take a few days for the Corid to have effect.

What I would like to know is if other people think I'm doing the right thing. Is Coccidiosis the biggest possibility? She was wormed about 3 months ago with the Worminator; the dosage was one drop as the bottle's label instructs. She is fed layer feed, and has access to clean water all of the time. I've checked, and she is free from external parasites, too. Her crop isn't impacted or balloon like, she has no discharge from her nostrils, and no sores anywhere on her body that I can see. What could be wrong? I feel awful for not noticing her condition earlier.
hit.gif

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

To me it sounds like the right thing to do since you seem to have checked out all of the usual threats. Have you checked her for a stuck egg or looked at her vent?

To me it sounds like the right thing to do since you seem to have checked out all of the usual threats. Have you checked her for a stuck egg or looked at her vent?

No, I haven't checked her for a stuck egg. Her vent looks normal, and she isn't straining or walking stiffly. She stopped laying several weeks ago.

You should also start thinking about tube feeding, IMO.

-Kathy

Yes, I am certainly beginning to think of that. But I've managed to get her to eat 3-5 bites of feed every few hours so far, and have been giving her some food "soup" in a spoon. I'll continue to monitor her appetite, and may attempt tube feeding if necessary.

Check for a stuck egg by gently inserting a lubed, gloved finger in her vent.

-Kathy

Do you really think a stuck egg would have caused her to become so lethargic/not interested in feed? She's been deteriorating for at least a week; I would think that a stuck egg would have killed her by now.

Do you really think a stuck egg would have caused her to become so lethargic/not interested in feed? She's been deteriorating for at least a week; I would think that a stuck egg would have killed her by now.
They can have a stuck egg for many weeks before they die. I did a necropsy on one and the stuck egg went bad, of course, and if grew into a huge 1 pound mass of pus.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom