Sick Pullet

emmakin3

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2017
I have an about 8 week old araucana pullet who is very lethargic. She will walk around a little, but is easily pushed over by her flockmates. She first got sick about a week ago, and was improving but today, she didn't even get down out of the run. She had been eating and drinking. I originally thought she had an impacted crop and was massaging it daily. Help?

What do her droppings look like? At this age, coccidiosis is very common. Symptoms can include lethargy/sleepiness. weakness, hunching up or puffed up appearance, poor appetite, and ruffled feathers. Sometimes their crop will not function as well. Corid (amprollium) from feed and farm stores is the best treatment. I would give her fluids with sugar or electrolytes, and go get Corid. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of Corid powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 7 days.

Thank you for your response. I think I have one doing the same thing. She seems ok, but doesn't seem to eat much. Sometimes she eats out of my hand then other times she is not interested. When we let her out in the morning, she comes out then lays down. Should I isolate her from my other chickens for 7 days?

Back
Top Bottom