Sick pullet

Sorry to hear this didn't clear up! Time is important with chickens, and the longer things get pushed out, the more issues can pop up in a vulnerable bird's system.

None of us can tell you if it's Marek's or not, but, for sure, being dehydrated or malnourished for over a week can cause a host of other problems, including progressive neurological symptoms.

As @Wyorp Rock said, vitamin supplements can contradict Corid (frustrating, because I know you want to get her as much nutrition as possible). I actually think this is why cocci snuck up on our chick last week, even though the babies were on a preventative dose the prior week because of our soil's history: I was still giving them a supplement I suspect contradicted Corid's protection, ugh.

Just a thought: when a bird doesn't rebound in 12-24 hours, I find a vet who will do a fecal analysis on chicken poop <--many non-poultry vets will agree to this. This test doesn't provide all the answers, and false results can happen, but it's a relatively inexpensive way to possibly get life-saving insight, like if there really is a big coccidiosis load or internal parasites.

Your girl may also simply be having problems connected to her being the runt, like a weakness thanks to genes, or malnourishment of her mom, or a faulty incubator...or she may have eaten bad food or a poisonous plant...Marek's is just one of many conditions that can cause her symptoms. Poop photos and answers to questions from @Swbertrand1 and @Wyorp Rock may help others here provide more insight. Continued good thoughts your way!

*Edits to fix my typos

Last edited:
Are you giving nutri-drench and electrolytes along with the Corid?
If so, then stop that. These contradict Corid.

Corid should be the only thing given. Dose is 2tsp liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid per gallon of water. This should be the only source of water during the 5-7 day treatment period.

You mention you think "feed" is the issue? What's wrong with the feed? Is it not fresh, is it moldy?

Please post some photos of the feed and the chick's poop.
Wyorp Rock, thank you for message! I was giving both nutri-drench, electrolytes and Corid at same time. Didn't realize and thought I needed to throw everything at her. Will reset and start Corid again.

There isn't anything wrong with the feed, but had recently switched to layer feed from chick feed. Since she is a runt, believe we switched her too soon (she's half the size of the other cream legbar (from same hatch) and our other same age pullets. She was tiny from the day we got her. She is back on chick feed as of yesterday.

Pics of her standing just a little, but very wabbly and sitting. Poop pics are all same poop, it's dark green and she did have a blueberry.

Thanks again!!!
Elisa

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_111317.jpg
    IMG_20210804_111317.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210804_111308.jpg
    IMG_20210804_111308.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210804_111257.jpg
    IMG_20210804_111257.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210804_111346.jpg
    IMG_20210804_111346.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210804_111358.jpg
    IMG_20210804_111358.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210804_111404.jpg
    IMG_20210804_111404.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I would give the Corid for 5 days. You may want to drench her in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.

Direct drench of liquid Corid is .10 ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 3 days.

Do make sure she's drinking the mixed water during waking hours and eating.

Once you finish the Corid, then offer the PND at a rate of 1cc/ml per 3 pounds of weight orally once a day for a few days.

She may be just runty or have some other condition. Do the best you can.

I would give the Corid for 5 days. You may want to drench her in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.

Direct drench of liquid Corid is .10 ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 3 days.

Do make sure she's drinking the mixed water during waking hours and eating.

Once you finish the Corid, then offer the PND at a rate of 1cc/ml per 3 pounds of weight orally once a day for a few days.

She may be just runty or have some other condition. Do the best you can.
Thanks again for the help and for the dosage info! Will update over next couple of days. Elisa

Little squirt is still hanging in there. Finished the Corid course and now a week of being back on chick feed. Cat food (tuna) added too which she will actually eat on her own. She's still subdue and wabbly, but she is standing much more now and walks a little. Nutri-drench started today too.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful suggestions!

Glad to hear she's hanging in there! Now that she's off Corid, try to get vitamins and electrolytes in her - she looks like she needs the energy and nutrition. I think she's going to pull through this... :)

Little squirt is still hanging in there. Finished the Corid course and now a week of being back on chick feed. Cat food (tuna) added too which she will actually eat on her own. She's still subdue and wabbly, but she is standing much more now and walks a little. Nutri-drench started today too.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful suggestions!

If you can make a mash of healthy things that taste good, you'll get ahead of the curve with her by making her want to eat instead of having to feed her, hoping she'll eat, begging her to eat, etc.

We use a mash of Starter Feed, Yogurt (our like "mixed berry" flavor...), 1/4 tablet of Vitamin B-complex (you could use a few drops of Poly-Vi-Sol or Nutri-Drench too), and some fried egg yolk. Mix all of that up into a moist mix about the size of a marble, not too wet, not too dry, and see if she doesn't gobble it down. If you're so inclined, add some Vitamin-E to the mix too. I can only help her neurological development.

When we've had sick chicks, they can't seem to say no to a mix that includes the mixed berry Yogurt - just sayin'............ :)

If you can make a mash of healthy things that taste good, you'll get ahead of the curve with her by making her want to eat instead of having to feed her, hoping she'll eat, begging her to eat, etc.

We use a mash of Starter Feed, Yogurt (our like "mixed berry" flavor...), 1/4 tablet of Vitamin B-complex (you could use a few drops of Poly-Vi-Sol or Nutri-Drench too), and some fried egg yolk. Mix all of that up into a moist mix about the size of a marble, not too wet, not too dry, and see if she doesn't gobble it down. If you're so inclined, add some Vitamin-E to the mix too. I can only help her neurological development.

When we've had sick chicks, they can't seem to say no to a mix that includes the mixed berry Yogurt - just sayin'............ :)
Thank you for the tasty mash suggestion! Will try it tomorrow with yogurt and egg. Have been making starter feed marbles but she shows no interest . She perks up for blueberries and cheese bits in the cat food, so fingers crossed that we just need some pizzazz!

Luckily she's tolerated force feeding well. I did already add Vitamin E and will add the B-complex too. Thanks for confirming that was a good choice. She's also getting nutri-dench and electrolytes via syringe or beak dipping as I'm still not seeing her drink on her own. She is definitely moving more each day, she's walking a bit and inhales big chunks of cat food tuna with little help from mommy.

Thank you for the tasty mash suggestion! Will try it tomorrow with yogurt and egg. Have been making starter feed marbles but she shows no interest . She perks up for blueberries and cheese bits in the cat food, so fingers crossed that we just need some pizzazz!

Luckily she's tolerated force feeding well. I did already add Vitamin E and will add the B-complex too. Thanks for confirming that was a good choice. She's also getting nutri-dench and electrolytes via syringe or beak dipping as I'm still not seeing her drink on her own. She is definitely moving more each day, she's walking a bit and inhales big chunks of cat food tuna with little help from mommy.
Good to hear that she's getting better. Hope she pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom