Sick quail chick

Samael

Hatching
Jun 5, 2020
One of my new quail chicks was born a runt and had trouble walking. I worked out that is was due to a vitamin b12 deficiency. I separated him from the others so that he wouldn't be knocked over and gave him the extra vitamins he needed. Over the week since he hatched hes been slowly getting better. But all of a sudden hes staring at the ground, running backwards and falling over. I have no idea what the issue is and cant seem to find an answer that fully explains it and if there is anything i can do. Heres a link to a video of him.

One of my new quail chicks was born a runt and had trouble walking. I worked out that is was due to a vitamin b12 deficiency. I separated him from the others so that he wouldn't be knocked over and gave him the extra vitamins he needed. Over the week since he hatched hes been slowly getting better. But all of a sudden hes staring at the ground, running backwards and falling over. I have no idea what the issue is and cant seem to find an answer that fully explains it and if there is anything i can do. Heres a link to a video of him.
Just cull.....it’s too much trouble to try and save the truly runts

I try to save those I can - with mixed success. Some are fighters. One I saved as a chick - all that effort and I had to cull anyway at 10weeks - due to a broken leg - no way to fix as it was mangled beyond repair - she never grew well and her legs were weak.

Others will have more experience than I. But to me, this looks like it might be a neurological problem.

I do agree with what the others have said. I currently have a sick hen I am loath to cull - because I am attached to her. I know it is hard - but you may have to consider this option. Just as I will if my hen will not improve in the next few days.

I don't know if this is what is going on here, but I've read that running backwards can be a sign of constipation. Can you tell if the chick has pooped or has any blockage?

I don't know if this is what is going on here, but I've read that running backwards can be a sign of constipation. Can you tell if the chick has pooped or has any blockage?
Now that I look in his cage there is a distinct lack of poo in there. There's normally a tonne and he is eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom