Sick Rabbit Any Ideas?

first of all it sound like huge rummy issues soooo yougert is the best no suger water will make it much worse then give some peptobismal ( sounds weird but it works) offer as much hay as it will eat NO Greens~!!! or carrots just hay I also keep a probiotic on hand for such issues . ( fasttrack works wonders) and elecrolites pedolite will work in a pinch. Also it would help to know how much he weighs ect
contact me off list if u need more help. I raise and show bunnies and have done it for 10 yrs
Allie

I sent you a PM.

pumpkin pie filling

Actually this sould be pure canned pumpkin, the filling has all the spices and sugars in it.

ETA:

Yogurt or dairy products should never be fed to rabbits, for the following reasons:

· Lactobacillus/Acidobacillus are not a natural host of the adult rabbit intestinal and, if surviving the passage through the acid stomach, it will not survive the anaerobic conditions of the cecum. The lack of adhesive capability may further prevent Lactobacilli from colonizing in the intestinal tract.

· Adult rabbits naturally do not have the right bacteria to digest milk derivates in the cecum and intestine.

· In the absence of those Lactobacteria, milk derivates accelerate the onset of stasis in adult rabbits.

Studies have furthermore shown that rabbits that were given cow’s milk on a daily basis during several months evidenced the development of rheumatoid like lesions. These rabbits showed increased numbers of nucleated cells and raised percentages of T lymphocytes in their synovial fluids, compared to control rabbits, and their elevation corresponded with the severity of the histological lesions. No glomerulonephritis was observed.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually this sould be pure canned pumpkin, the filling has all the spices and sugars in it.

Thanks for the clarification. We ran in to the blocked digestive tract issue some 10 years ago. I remembered the pumpkin pie filling but forgot that it was just pumpkin paste not actual pie filling.

Thanks Hooligan for the clarification. I meant to add "watered down milk" should have said only as an emergency since it sounded like the rabbit was nonresponsive.

At this point feeding the rabbit almost whatever he would eat could help stimulate his appetite.
When we got Lucy spayed she stopped eating and the only thing I could get her to eat was Pumpkin Butter but it got her tummy going and she started eating all the veggies I could hand her!

Hooligan, Yeah that's what I'm thinking - get the rabbit responsive enough to eat or drink something and then worry about it.

Just about any mammal can take a little watered down milk to get fluids and nutrients in it in an emergency. I even gave Ruth (my baby chick) watered down milk when I found her "dead" in cage. Once she was responsive I switched to egg yolk.

PoultryPerson - best of luck to you. I sure hope he makes it.

Last edited:
I would definately be worried about dehydration. If you haven't noticed him being skinny he maybe that way due to the lack of liquid. Eye droppers or syringes work to help get liquid in them. Personally I would mix warm water with some sort of probiotic and some electrolytes. Then you need to try to get him to eat. Pellets are the best. See if you can get the brand you have been getting-rabbits stomachs are touchy. If he won't eat the pellets try dry hay. Greens can cause more problems if his system isn't working properly.

Good luck!

HE'S EATING! I thought for sure when I didn't hear any noise this morning that he must be dead--but when I looked in, there he sat, waiting for more food. He ate alot of the carrot/pineapple blend I gave him, and then started eating mystery pellets. He eats and eats and eats. I will be going back to the feedstore today (I was sick last week and didn't get to go back to the feedstore) to get some more purina. Thanks everyone for the help! I'll keep you updated on his progress.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom