Sick Rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ondra's Seramas, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I usually don't have rabbits, so I'm not quite sure what to do. My rabbit, a 3 1/2 year old Polish female, was acting strangely this morning. She isn't eating or drinking, and seems dehydrated and needing food. I have no idea why! She might have been like this yesterday when I fed, but not this much or I definitely would have noticed. I gave her some electrolytes and "Nutri-cal" orally. She wasn't swallowing. So, I gave her a few CCs of Lactaded Ringer's Solution subcutaneously. What else can I do?

Thanks! I wasn't sure where else to put this.

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    How is your rabbit? I'm not gonna be much help but maybe someone else will chime in quickly. It could be a lot of different things but some common offenders are gas, a blockage, sore mouth, bloat, ear infection, each treated differently, each an emergency that can go downhill within a few hours once they're not eating or drinking. The fluids you gave might get it moving along if it's a blockage. Are there any other symptoms? Like fever, sitting hunched, grinding teeth, etc.? If it can't be seen by a vet it's usually recommended to offer some green leafy veggies, leafy hay, or try syringe feeding a blended mix of those with soaked pellets and fluids. Banana and apple can sometimes tempt them to eat something but leafy greens are best. Hoping the best!

eta: I'd check the mouth first to see if there's an issue there. Also forgot to mention baby gas drops can be used for gas (is the stomach noisy?).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  3. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Also gently feel the stomach. Hard, distended? Sloshy?

Any sneezing or discharge?

Sometimes a bit of parsley or something of that nature will get them eating again. Have you changed the diet or water at all? Even moving the cage can send some rabbits into a tizzy.

4. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I didn't notice any of those symptoms. I'm still not sure what it is, but she seemed to perk up after she was injected. She drank, and just a few minutes ago she ate. I'm really relieved. Thanks!

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Wonderful! Those fluids you gave her could have saved her life. Good for you, and glad she ate. Did she eat a normal amount and is her stool normal? If she didn't eat a normal amount I'd still give her some leafy hay or leafy greens and maybe the baby gas drops or gasx. The fluids could have made her feel some better enough to eat a little, but the underlying cause could still be there. Rabbits won't eat if they're dehydrated. Also, if she's not spayed, around 3 years old they can begin to have issues. Hoping all the best and thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by