1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick rhode island red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kerriewill, Mar 1, 2015.

1. kerriewill

kerriewill New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    My 2 year old Rhode Island Red hadn't laid in almost 4 months and her belly was hard as rock and slightly distended. I brought her in a few months ago and started giving her warm baths and oiling her vent. Then all my girls started molting and in the middle of the molt we moved to a new place. Through all of this she held her own but never laid and her belly never got soft. Today when I picked her up she was breathing hard and eventually was listless and wasn't regaining any perk so after an hour or so of nothing we dispatched her. Any ideas of what could have been wrong with her? I thought egg bound, but she lasted for so many months that now I'm not sure. Does anyone have any ideas. So sad because this is the first baby I've lost.
    Thanks....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by