Sick Roo, HELP!

1001Cochins

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 9, 2014
So, my favorite blue cochin roo is down with something, and it doesn't look good. I had noticed that he has been looking a bit mopey, but we just got a new Rooster and the blue got beaten up by him. So, I thought it was case of the mopes. Then, he started to get a bit of diarrhea and so I wormed him and then he seemed to have a bit of a cold and so I gave him some Tylan. The cold cleared up and so did the diarrhea but now he is acting very weird. He is off balanced and can't seem to keep himself steady. He is very wobbly and sits with his eyes shut a lot. He is still interested in food and is scratching around as much as he can. I separated him, but I don't know what else to do. Should I give him some electrolytes? Please help!

The new rooster may have brought in something contagious, such as cocci or a respiratory disease, or both. There are 9 or more strains of coccidia, so he could have brought in a new one. His balance issues could be due to many things, such as ear infection, cocci, dehydration, or a neurological problem, such as Mareks. Keep an eye out for any signs of leg or wing weakness. Make sure he is getting plenty to eat and drink, and I would use poultry vitamins and probiotic in his water. If he has not been wormed lately, that also would be good to do with Valbazen or SafeGuard.

Back
Top Bottom