Sick Rooster! Acts Strange, Abnormal. Help?

So sad, sorry about Cowboy. It’s always sad when pets pass away but knowing what happened can help prevent it happening to more of your flock. I hope your flock are okay! If it’s winter then I agree with pneumonia but as it’s summer here and the winters don’t get that cold then I don’t really have those issues

With it spreading through your flock it could well be a respiratory disease. You mentioned symptoms of Open mouth breathing, are their eyes runny or bubbly? Listen closely to their breathing, any wheezing? Any coughing or sneezing? Once you determine what the illness is you can act accordingly. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Tylan for example?
Depending on the illness in your flock it may or may not be treatable but oftentimes secondary illnesses can be.
That link in my last post gives a detailed description of respiratory diseases.

With it spreading through your flock it could well be a respiratory disease. You mentioned symptoms of Open mouth breathing, are their eyes runny or bubbly? Listen closely to their breathing, any wheezing? Any coughing or sneezing? Once you determine what the illness is you can act accordingly. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Tylan for example?
Depending on the illness in your flock it may or may not be treatable but oftentimes secondary illnesses can be.
That link in my last post gives a detailed description of respiratory diseases.
Their eyes aren’t bubbly, but they’re sneezing and coughing. No wheezing it sounds similar to a sigh. I don’t have any antibiotics on hand, I’m supposed to be heading to Jacksonville, AL today to get my feed and supplies for my birds, while I’m there I’ll pick up a few.

Also;
I am getting chicks delivered any day now, as long as they stay away from my outside flock, they shouldn’t get whatever this is, right?

Their eyes aren’t bubbly, but they’re sneezing and coughing. No wheezing it sounds similar to a sigh. I don’t have any antibiotics on hand, I’m supposed to be heading to Jacksonville, AL today to get my feed and supplies for my birds, while I’m there I’ll pick up a few.

Also;
I am getting chicks delivered any day now, as long as they stay away from my outside flock, they shouldn’t get whatever this is, right?
That also depends on what the illness is, unfortunately some respiratory diseases are extremely contagious and your flock would remain carriers for life regardless of displaying any symptoms. So it's vital to find out what you are dealing with. I am no expert on respiratory diseases so hopefully other people will be along. Ill go look at what I've got and post back shortly.
Any smell coming from the ones displaying symptoms? (their beaks)

From what I can find I'm thinking IB (infectious bronchitis) or Aspergillosis. Tylan50 is used to treat IB and addition of a fungistat to the feed for Aspergillosis while also increasing ventilation and changing the bedding.
I wish I knew more sorry. I would get Tylan today though!

Also;
Can you post a video of what they sound like?
Any discharge from the eyes or mucous from the nostrils?

Could be a respiratory illness or as mentioned, Aspergillosis. It's hard to know.
What does the poop look like?

As for chicks getting it, I would keep them quarantined. Practice Bio-security between your existing flock and the chicks as well. A lot depends on what you are dealing with. Respiratory illnesses are spread through bodily fluids, dust, dander, equipment, etc.

Even if your birds recover, they can be carriers and pass on the illness to other birds.

Back
Top Bottom