Sick rooster - frostbite?

Have you given him any electrolytes or similar? Some extra protein will help too-tuna or egg. He is in pain. Were you able to get any meds in him yet?
Water and very little canned cat food. We will get some aspirin into him this evening and will try egg or tuna. It seems like it is hard for him to eat right now and I have to feed him

If you have meloxicam, I would give that. Will a dog crate fit inside your coop to let him have visits and stay used to the cold? So sorry about your rooster. It is hard to totally prevent frostbite. He looks to have a lot of swelling in his wattles, and he should feel better when that goes down. Make sure that you have some overhead room and overhead ventilation. If the comb or wattles get wet, or there is high humidity inside the coop, that is when frostbite is most likely to occur in freezing weather. If you have windows, try to keep the top few inches open. Do not put vaseline or other creams/ointments on combs to prevent or treat frostbite. It will actually freeze and make it worse. Also do not rub or massage any tissue that is frostbitten.

If you have meloxicam, I would give that. Will a dog crate fit inside your coop to let him have visits and stay used to the cold? So sorry about your rooster. It is hard to totally prevent frostbite. He looks to have a lot of swelling in his wattles, and he should feel better when that goes down. Make sure that you have some overhead room and overhead ventilation. If the comb or wattles get wet, or there is high humidity inside the coop, that is when frostbite is most likely to occur in freezing weather. If you have windows, try to keep the top few inches open. Do not put vaseline or other creams/ointments on combs to prevent or treat frostbite. It will actually freeze and make it worse. Also do not rub or massage any tissue that is frostbitten.
We have venting at the roof and leave one side panel off for ventilation in the run and have windows open some in the coop. We will slowly get him adjusted to the temp difference. I do have 7.5 mg of meloxicam but not sure how much to give him.

I know, I feel horrible about this. How much aspirin? I have 81 mg here that I have to take daily. I also have Maloxicam that is for pain and inflammation.
Maloxicam is wonderful for this - just make sure you’re not overdosing, and that he’s drinking enough with it too as it can be quite hard on the liver and kidneys over time.

Dosage depends first of all on what formula you have - is it the cat or the dog one?

Maloxicam is wonderful for this - just make sure you’re not overdosing, and that he’s drinking enough with it too as it can be quite hard on the liver and kidneys over time.

Dosage depends first of all on what formula you have - is it the cat or the dog one?
I only have the human dosage and shave a very tiny bit from the edge as I know they can only have .02 and giving him water multiple times a day since he is unable to eat or drink on his own. We are doing everything we can for him with caution in hopes of him getting through this

Starting to see some improvement but worries about some of the behavior I’m seeing. I am feeding him with a medicine dropper - watered down yogurt and oatmeal along with plain water and some electrolytes. He takes them fine but I hear a gurgling sound while feeding. Trying to not give too much at one time too. He is starting to walk a little but seems off balance and shakes his head then just lays back down.

Attachments

• C81CB8FD-C72D-4332-A9AA-B0151423E88E.jpeg
    C81CB8FD-C72D-4332-A9AA-B0151423E88E.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 2
  • D0A8CBE6-416D-4FAB-96C9-6691FB6641EB.jpeg
    D0A8CBE6-416D-4FAB-96C9-6691FB6641EB.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 2
Starting to see some improvement but worries about some of the behavior I’m seeing. I am feeding him with a medicine dropper - watered down yogurt and oatmeal along with plain water and some electrolytes. He takes them fine but I hear a gurgling sound while feeding. Trying to not give too much at one time too. He is starting to walk a little but seems off balance and shakes his head then just lays back down.
When feeding with the dropper, how are you going about that? You don't want him to aspirate.

Back
Top Bottom