sick rooster.help

abii

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
hi ,my rooster is sick for the last whole month ,when he makes sound it is like gargling sound as if he has bad throat , and has heavy breathing,,he had this problem off and on i used to give him antibiotiecs like ovytetracycline n sometime sulpla drugs n he used to get well now for the last one month i gave him same medicine but he didnt rep[ond well..i tried cehlexine and for 10 dfays he improved slightly ,,n then again deteriorated ,n then he developed difficulty in swalloing as if there is a lump in his throat , but that is i think mocus he dosent drink water cuz of difficulty swallowing even if he eats a small bit of food he has to push is down with difficulty even water.he still has heavy breathing now for the lat 6 days i am giving him cipofloxine morning evening quater a spoon u can say 5 drops ,plus ventoline,he improved but again 2 days tremoring sound comes whn he makes sound, n heavy breathing n sometimes opens its mouth,,showing that there is mocus in his throat,i dont kw how his throat can be cleared from this mocus, he wants to eat, pecks n wait for a while pushing down the food bit, he has this heavy breathing problem on running, for 2 yrs. but now worened, his age is now more than 4 but not yet 5 .plz help me i dont know what to do i am v v depressed.Can anyone suggest if i start giving him prednisolone??

Abi

Has he ever been wormed? I'm not an expert but from reading things on here maybe gapeworm? What's his poop look like?

Also, search respiratory illnesses. Check the symptoms versus his.. I'm sure someone else will know way more than me but it's something to start with.. If you think it's worms, Valbazen .5 cc orally works great. Doesn't overload their system with dead worms.

I'm not quite sure what his problem is, but I'd treat for a respiratory disease with a different antitiotic. I'd get some Tylan50 (sold for large livestock, but a great antibiotic for respiratory diseases in chickens). It should eliminate the disease if its a bacterial disease. Its given as an injection generally, so you'll also need to get some small 20-22 gauge needles and syringes. Give 1cc for large fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into the breast muscle once daily for five days. If its working, you'll see improvement by the third day.

I think that you should worm him, just in case it is gapeworm. Valbazen and Safeguard are two good dewormers. Here are some links with dosages:

Safeguard:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/752689/dosage-help-updated-question
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/559705/gapeworm-treating-with-safeguard

Valbazen:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401475/worming-with-valbazen

Hope this helps!

his poop is mostly greenish loose..buy i have never see worms in his poops.
Thanks for guidance.

thank you,
,i dont know how to give injections but .i have already given him ciproofloxcine for 10 days morning evening 5 drops.and stopped yestrday.is it ok for 10 days or wether i should have given for more days?//he looks slighlty better.but still i feel some mucus n have swalloing problem but better than his previuos condition he tries to eat but difficulty cuz of weakness and having so many antibiotics for the whole month..and one more thing he had lice also n i have put antilice powder 15 days back in his feathers...due lice he looks aneamic

thanks TTRACY.you have a big family..may God give them health and you happiness

thanks TTRACY.you have a big family..may God give them health and you happiness

Your very welcome!
thumbsup.gif

Hope everything works out well.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear he is still sick... did you follow up with treatment for lice....? Normally it would be advisable to treat him 7 - 10 days after the initial treatment to ensure any residual lice problems ( i.e. hatching eggs) are eradicated.

Back
Top Bottom