Sick Rooster ongoing

Alyssabc33

In the Brooder
May 17, 2022
I am at my wits end!

Excuse the long post but I just need some answers!

This all started over a month ago now. I noticed yellow/foamy/greasy poop. I came home one day and my rooster was puffed up, wobbly, lethargic, and looked like he was knocking on deaths door. My immediate thought went to coccidiosis so I started treating the flock with Corid and brought him inside and pushed fluids and mash and he started making a come back and finally looked well enough to go back out with the others. One of my other hens got sick and she unfortunately didn’t make it. She couldn’t even stand up. My rooster, seemingly better (although still pooping green) has been with the flock and seemed to be on the mend. Then about 10 days ago we noticed his poop was becoming yellow again and once instance we saw red worms dancing about in his poop. We researched and thought gapeworm was exactly what we saw, so I got ivermectin 100/mL solution and gave him 5 drops on his neck…. He wasn’t acting weird just the abnormal poops. (I treated the entire flock and have been scooping the poop). He seemed to be doing MUCH better after and then his poop was turned green again and so I read ivermectin doesn’t kill adult gape worms. So I gave him fenbendazole following the directions for 5 days and it says to give at least a 7 days break and do another 5 days. He seemed fine on that but on day 4 or 5 I noticed red, jelly like substance in his stool. Then 2 days after stopping the fenbendazole I woke up and didn’t hear any crowing, went to open the coop and he looked puffed up again, weak, lethargic, won’t eat again. Like what gives?! I thought we were passed this! I got home from work and he was actually drinking water on his own, but he pooped green/white pure liquid 😓 he seems slow and out of it. I think he’s also going through a molt on top of it. I’m not sure what to do anymore. He will seem fine one minute and next he will be laying on the ground. it’s been going on for almost 2 months now I just wish he would feel better already but I’m not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! I feel like all of this is just so hard on his poor GI tract. Any advice or insight please would be so appreciated. I just want my rooster to feel better again 😞

I am at my wits end!

Excuse the long post but I just need some answers!

This all started over a month ago now. I noticed yellow/foamy/greasy poop. I came home one day and my rooster was puffed up, wobbly, lethargic, and looked like he was knocking on deaths door. My immediate thought went to coccidiosis so I started treating the flock with Corid and brought him inside and pushed fluids and mash and he started making a come back and finally looked well enough to go back out with the others. One of my other hens got sick and she unfortunately didn’t make it. She couldn’t even stand up. My rooster, seemingly better (although still pooping green) has been with the flock and seemed to be on the mend. Then about 10 days ago we noticed his poop was becoming yellow again and once instance we saw red worms dancing about in his poop. We researched and thought gapeworm was exactly what we saw, so I got ivermectin 100/mL solution and gave him 5 drops on his neck…. He wasn’t acting weird just the abnormal poops. (I treated the entire flock and have been scooping the poop). He seemed to be doing MUCH better after and then his poop was turned green again and so I read ivermectin doesn’t kill adult gape worms. So I gave him fenbendazole following the directions for 5 days and it says to give at least a 7 days break and do another 5 days. He seemed fine on that but on day 4 or 5 I noticed red, jelly like substance in his stool. Then 2 days after stopping the fenbendazole I woke up and didn’t hear any crowing, went to open the coop and he looked puffed up again, weak, lethargic, won’t eat again. Like what gives?! I thought we were passed this! I got home from work and he was actually drinking water on his own, but he pooped green/white pure liquid 😓 he seems slow and out of it. I think he’s also going through a molt on top of it. I’m not sure what to do anymore. He will seem fine one minute and next he will be laying on the ground. it’s been going on for almost 2 months now I just wish he would feel better already but I’m not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! I feel like all of this is just so hard on his poor GI tract. Any advice or insight please would be so appreciated. I just want my rooster to feel better again 😞

Attachments

• 90F35F69-795D-4250-A3E9-04EAD3D001CF.jpeg
    90F35F69-795D-4250-A3E9-04EAD3D001CF.jpeg
    623.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom