Sick Rooster

emmi9800

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 15, 2016
Adamsville, Ohio
Hi im new to this group. Ive had chickens for a long time but come across something im not familiar with. My young rooster is only about three to four months old. I noticed that his wattles are really swollen. Ive looked thru some info on here about the diesases that could cause that and its just not adding up. Most of them say it happens in older birds or generally hens stuff like that. His wattles are swollen and they look just a tad frost bitten on the bottom like a light purple color on the very bottom of both wattles. Hes also been shaking his head too. Not only do they look swollen but also maybe fluid filled. My coop is blocked off from all wind and weather. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I dont know the answer to this but when a hen or rooster injures their wattle or comb they will form dark purple or black spots on it... if the hen is turning all purple that means it could be an airway issue... the dark spots will eventually go away... I am not sure about the swalleness of the wattle unless he is coming to age.. Good luck, hopefully someone will have more information to give you.

Hi im new to this group. Ive had chickens for a long time but come across something im not familiar with. My young rooster is only about three to four months old. I noticed that his wattles are really swollen. Ive looked thru some info on here about the diesases that could cause that and its just not adding up. Most of them say it happens in older birds or generally hens stuff like that. His wattles are swollen and they look just a tad frost bitten on the bottom like a light purple color on the very bottom of both wattles. Hes also been shaking his head too. Not only do they look swollen but also maybe fluid filled. My coop is blocked off from all wind and weather. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Can you post a picture? It does sound like frostbite, and the wattles can swell from that. It happens when they drink water in freezing weather, and the long wattles get into the water. I wouldn't handle the wattles much since they are very painful with frostbite. Vetericyn spray would be good to apply, or you could dab on some plain antibiotic ointment. I usually don't do anything for it, but if you are using bowls for water, you might use a chicken waterer where he can't get his wattles wet. The dark part may become rounded off when it heals. Here is a good read about frostbite: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

Last edited:
Can you post a picture? It does sound like frostbite, and the wattles can swell from that. It happens when they drink water in freezing weather, and the long wattles get into the water. I wouldn't handle the wattles much since they are very painful with frostbite. Vetericyn spray would be good to apply, or you could dab on some plain antibiotic ointment. I usually don't do anything for it, but if you are using bowls for water, you might use a chicken waterer where he can't get his wattles wet. The dark part may become rounded off when it heals. Here is a good read about frostbite:  http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

Yes im at work right now but i will post a pic as soon as i can maybe that is what it is then but would the head shaking be a part of them just hurting then?

Probably so. I'll wait for your picture tomorrow.

Okay im not sure if its uploading my pic i tried twice maybe im doing it wrong i went to the bottom of the page where is says reply with the box i selected the pic and it said embedding but i still dont see the pic on this page?

Okay so i finally figured out my pics wasnt uploading and i couldnt change my avatar because i had it on mobile because my computer is broke down at the moment so ive been having to use my phone. Finally i got a picture on here his wattles are still about the same maybe a tad better and the waterer i use is a regular chicken waterer its my heated one i use for winter its got the cord and u flip it upside down to fill it and flip it back over and plug it in. Maybe hes still getting his wattles in it? All my chickens use the same one and no one else is having this problem. He does have bigger wattles but i do have another rooster thats not having this problem either? Maybe a waterer change? Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom