Sick Rooster

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
Stayed outside the coop last night and I had to carry him in. Gave nutridrench and heate a little scrambled egg last night. Poo is green and scant, not good at all. He doesn't want to drink, so I'm dropping water occasionally. He looks more lethargic this morning. I don't know if I should try working him or give an antibiotic. His mouth looks good albeit dry; vent looks good, but I see something white inside that is not moving and is attached. Is this normal? Crop is empty. Sorry, pic is blurry.
20200811_203750.jpg

Last edited:
Stayed outside the coop last night and I had to carry him in. Gave nutridrench and heate a little scrambled egg last night. Poo is green and scant, not good at all. He doesn't want to drink, so I'm dropping water occasionally. He looks more lethargic this morning. I don't know if I should try working him or give an antibiotic. His mouth looks good albeit dry; vent looks good, but I see something white inside that is not moving and is attached. Is this normal? Crop is empty. Sorry, pic is blurry.
View attachment 2286993
Can you get a better photo and tell us where this is located? Is this an injury?

How old is your rooster?
What's his crop like?

Can you get a better photo and tell us where this is located? Is this an injury
it was anterior and to the left, but it's no longer visible. I wondered if it was due to dehydration as the roof of his mouth was very pale. There was just the one spot that I could see in the vent yesterday, when holding it open. It looked line it's own entity and not an ulcer within surrounding tissue. His vent now looks perfectly normal.
How old is your rooster?
What's his crop like?
He is two years old, a silkie. His crop is completely empty. I took him back outside to be with his girls. He perked up for a minute and was talking to them while they ate their breakfast. He is not interested himself. I believe his system is shutting down. He is sitting under the coop while the girls are out foraging.

This sounds like a serious issue. Hydration is really important and with his condition I would not suggest leaving him alone for long periods of time. Is there anyone you know who could watch him? You could try antibiotics, or deworming, but I don't know if there's any negative effects to doing this if the issue is something else. Are there any chicken vets in your area? I know vets can be rather pricey...so I hope you can figure out the problem on your own with the help of people on this sight, but it may be a good idea to bring him to one if you can afford it.

I'm sorry he's not well.
I'm still not understanding what's going on with him. Is his eye crusted? What is anterior?

The best thing I can suggest is to get him hydrated and see what happens.
My apologies. That was confusing. There was a white spot in his vent when I looked last night. I do not see it today. I have no idea what the problem is. He's not eating or drinking and just seems to be wasting away all of a sudden.

How old is he? It is hard to know what is wrong with him exactly. You have a few different breeds from different people don’t you? It could be something like Mareks, coccidiosis, hard to know. Tube feeding is safer than dropper or syringe feeding, so you may want to read up on that. Is his crop empty?

Back
Top Bottom