Sick rooster.

Rooster all puffed up and staying alone in the yard.
Have you thoroughly checked him over? Separate him without food and make sure his crop is empty in the am.
There are so many illnesses and being puffed up and staying alone are symptoms of illness. You need to provide more symptoms, but checking the crop, doing a fecal float test for worms would be where I would start. Also, what are you feeding him? He shouldn’t be eating layer feed as he doesn’t need the extra calcium which could cause liver / kidney issues.

Have you thoroughly checked him over? Separate him without food and make sure his crop is empty in the am.
There are so many illnesses and being puffed up and staying alone are symptoms of illness. You need to provide more symptoms, but checking the crop, doing a fecal float test for worms would be where I would start. Also, what are you feeding him? He shouldn’t be eating layer feed as he doesn’t need the extra calcium which could cause liver / kidney issues.
Thank you for answering my concern. I did put this rooster in a dog crate and in a heated shop with only water. He perked up and walked back out into the yard. I did notice is has a swollen breast. I am new to roosters and did not know about the problems with layer feed.

Thank you for answering my concern. I did put this rooster in a dog crate and in a heated shop with only water. He perked up and walked back out into the yard. I did notice is has a swollen breast. I am new to roosters and did not know about the problems with layer feed.
By swollen breast, do you mean crop? The crop is a sack right next to the breast bone that acts as a holding area for food - the chickens stuff their crops quickly so they can return to safety. The food then goes down to the stomach slowly, over a period of hours to digest. If his crop is still swollen and mushy in the morning after not eating all night, he may have an impacted crop. It will be instinct to want to fill it anyway, and if impacted the food will sit and ferment and cause sour crop. But being impacted comes first.
There is a food called flock raiser, that has more protein in it and less calcium. Then you would just offer free choice oyster shell on the side (the rooster won’t touch it).

Back
Top Bottom