Sick Rooster

DonnaAnn

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
I would like to start off by saying that I am very new to raising chickens. All of my chickens are about 7-8 months old... There has been no problems except for my sick rooster..

About two and a half months ago my rooster had gotten ill for the first time. I had broughten him to the vet because I was deeply concerned. He had a lost his nail on the back side of his foot, became very lathargic, would not crow or act in any way that he used to and he had a concerning limp with his right leg.( The foot where the nail had become missing)

When I took him to the vet I was giving an antibotic and some pain medication, I was told that he had some sort of infection in his leg. The vet was not sure what sort of infection but thought it may have been because of the nail that he had loss. After two months of being on the medication he slowly had gotten better. Although his leg still didnt seem a 100%, his actions were fairly normal. Each day after my rooster had seemed to get better and better, to where I decided to put him back in the coop with the hens.(When he was sick I had him isolated by himself to recoporate.)

The rooster was doing very well for about 3 weeks after I had put him back in the coop with the hens. Until one morning we had went to go check on the chickens. We noticed that the hens were "picking" on him once again.(First time he was sick the hens would bother him..pecking at his feathers.) Once we seen that we knew something was wrong. When I looked at him he was limping once again...not exactly like before though....His limp now is as if the right leg is paralysed... When we move his left leg he easily tightens his foot and moves his leg.(reflex) But when we try to have him move his right leg..it is as if he cannot feel it.. there is not reflex and it seems to be much cooler to touch. When holding the rooster his right leg dangles while the left one still moves....

As I went back to the vet, I was giving the same medication with the same response..some sort of infection.....

I had been looking up all sorts of diseases that chickens may encounter and mareks has caught my eye.....

Any response would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Mareks's certainly a possiblity. Also might be worth giving him some vitamins and see how things go for a bit. If it is Marek's likely he will continue to decline but may seem to improve a little bit at times only to relaps in a few days or so.

I'd keep him separated.

Last edited:
DonnaAnn, I just wanted to send good wishes for your roo, and for your good heart in trying to help him.

I'm not sure what is going on exactly but while this is being sorted out would keep him very comfortable - no stresses in terms of extreme weather temps or mean birds in his midst (does he by chance have a buddy - a gentle girl - he could be separated with to keep him company? if he has anything contagious my guess is that everyone is already exposed anyway). Great nutrition cannot hurt and may help, e.g. Avia Charge 2000 [nutritional supplements] in his water daily, mixed to a light iced tea color (can order on line). There's another product called Rooster Booster that is a possible alternative (I use AC2000 daily with my birds). And there are others as well.

What has been your roo's diet up till now?

JJ

His diet consists of Layena mesh and cracked corn with occasioal bread. When he was sick before he did not make any normal rooster noises of any sort... but with the whatever he has now, he still makes his noises.(except for crowing) He eats and drinks as if nothing is wrong, and that is the part that I am not understanding, he acts normal except for his leg. And yes a hen does keep him company, she lays with him to keep him warm at night. I do have him seperated from all the other hens but he can still visualize them as well. I also have a heat lamp over where he is located in the coop...

Any suggestions on what is going on???Infection..Hurt leg..???

In case it's an injury you might try some pain relief. 1 baby aspirin crushed per cup of his drinking water, fresh batch at least daily. My roo has at times hurt his foot/leg and to get him pain relief I start out by dunking cut up grapes and blueberries (whatever they like will do) in the aspirin water and then hand feeding him the fruit in order to get some pain reliever in him and hopefully take the edge off his pain. When it works, he then will eat and drink on his own and get more aspirin water.

I do not feed roos layer food because there is information that indicates this is too much calcium for them and can cause gout, or worse. I feed my birds (male and female) game bird maintenance and I provide oyster shell separately free choice. When a hen feels she needs calcium she takes as much as she needs. The eggs are perfect. For a several month period in 2006/2007 while my mom was extremely ill, my roo BJ was in someone elses care. The person was a good person but cut corners and didn't offer BJ the game bird maintenance food I provided. When I was back to caring for him full time he had trouble with his feet - holding them up, clearly uncomfortable. I gave him cut up cherries for quite some time in case he had developed gout and he did get better. Cherries have an amazing ability to help with this. I still give him cherries periodically.

Your roo's situation sounds more serious and I don't know what is going on, but these changes plus the nutritional supplements may bolster him.

JJ

Does gout affect a rooster's leg? Could this be the cause of his leg being weak? I have also noticed that on both of his legs that there is a red lines on them? He had this before and the vet had told me that it was a sign of infection.(first time he was sick) And it seems to be that the red has appeared again but the vet said that it might be a sign of a blood clot in his leg or its just something that he gets because it is on both legs. ( the leg that is hurt and the leg that is fine) Does anyone know what the red on his legs indicates??

Later today i will try to upload some pictures of my rooster to see if it will help with diagnosing his sickness..

Thank You.

Here are the some pictures of my rooster...

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

Hopefully these pictures will help with identifying what is going on here..

Hi. The pics are just showing up as red x's on my computer but hopefully others will be able to see them.....

Is roo back on the meds from the vet - name of med(s)? If antibiotic, do add probiotics to roo's diet (yogurt, contents from probiotic capsules sprinkled on fruit or whatever right before he eats it (as most probiotics will decline if not refrigerated before consumption).

JJ

Yes he is on the meds the vet gave us. Batryl (sp) for the antibiotic and a pain med. I will try to repost the pictures later today.

Back
Top Bottom