sick rooster

dpitts13

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2012
i have a rooste that is about 2 years old about 4 days ago he staterd just sanding around with his head tucked in this morning i checked on him and his comb is starting to turn black. any ideas what ma be wrong with him

Combs turning black is often a sign that a bird has a heart problem, or there is another reason why there isn't much circulation in the comb. Could you post a picture?

Is it excessivly cold or warm where you are? Heat or cold can cause combs to turn purple like that. However, your bird doesn't look like he's feeling completely healthy. Has he started molting? Molting can cause birds to not feel very well, and their combs will often turn pale or become slightly discolored. I'd check him for lice and mites too, as they can weaken a chicken. I'd also deworm him with either Safeguard or Valbazen dewormers. Give him some electrolytes, vitamins, and probiotics if you have any to help build up his immune system.

As for the breed, he looks like an Old English Game, probably Black Breasted Red. He could also be a OEG mix.

he has not molted i checked for mites ad lice and did not see anything , i wll get some wormer in the morning and hope that helps. any other suggestions i really like this little rooter

any other ideas he has not gotten any better ,i have him isolated because the other roosters was picking at him, please help with this

any other ideas he has not gotten any better ,i have him isolated because the other roosters was picking at him, please help with this

Is he eating/drinking? Have you checked his crop for either an impacted crop or sour crop? What does his poop look like?

Back
Top Bottom