Sick Rooster

sbates1991

Hatching
Jan 28, 2015
Hi everyone! I need a little help. I have searched the internet and my chicken book over to try and find an answer. Yesterday I went to the chicken coop and found my largest rooster just lying on the floor and the other chickens were walking over top of him. I picked him up immediately and carried him to the front porch. It was like he couldn't pick his body up off the ground he just lay there with his mouth open and his eyes kept closing. When he would open and close his mouth it seemed like he was trying to make a sound but he never did. Finally he started throwing up some brown colored liquid with cracked corn in it. I give them scratch on the cold winter nights but they also have laying pellets and plenty of fresh water and whatever bugs they find. They have access to the outdoors. Just a medium size fenced in lot. He hasn't been acting himself for the past few days anyway but I just thought maybe he is getting old. I don't know his breed and I don't know how old he is. I just got him probably about 4 months ago from a lady. I am concerned because I have my hens in the same coop along with two other roosters. He did die last night. Please help me!!! Also the back of his comb looked a little purple. There coop has a chicken light in it but it has been very cold here in Tennessee.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster! It could be because of his age, but it is hard to be certain. I suggest posting in the Emergencies section for some more good answers on what's wrong and how to treat him:Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

Good luck, and I hope he gets better!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your rooster.
hugs.gif
So he has passed away now? The blue comb sounds like a heart condition. Since you don't know how old he was he could have been old enough that his time was up. Usually like in humans when the heart isn't working well, your lips and fingers can turn blue. So with the comb of a chicken.

The only way to really know what he died of is to get a necropsy from a vet. You would have had to have bagged up his body and put him in the frig (not the freezer) while you make an appointment at your vets for a necropsy.

Good luck with the rest of your flock and we do welcome you to our roost!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Thank you all for your replies! I love this site I am constantly looking on it for advice! Since I am fairly new to keeping chickens I had no clue what to even begin to look for.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? All kinds of articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens including a health section too. I will include the link to the learning center and our section on health...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/maintaining-a-healthy-flock

Click on the second tab on the left, Chicken Injuries and Diseases and there are lots of articles that might be of help to you. The learning center is loaded with all kinds of good articles.

Thank you! I haven't had him long. I can't lie I was a bit sad because he was pretty sweet and he was beautiful! But it will be ok
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom