sick Salmon Favorolle chick

writerdeman

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northern Michigan
We have a 5 day old chick that came in a batch of 40+. My husband thinks it was a weak chick when it got here because there was one yellow chick that was weak.

It does not seem to want to drink, even when fed with an eye=dropper. It seemed to rally for a bit after we isolated it, but now lies (on it's side) panting.

Any ideas of what to do for it?
thanks!

Could it have gotten too hot? I would try to give it some Poly-Vi-Sol liquid vitamins (without iron). Just a drop or two at a time a couple of times a day. This may give it a boost. If it was a weak chick to begin with it may not make it no matter what you do. If you only loose one out of 40 or more you have done great. Some chicks just aren't meant to survive. Good Luck and i hope you can pull it thru.
A little mashed up boiled egg will also help to give it a boost.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Although we did our best, eye-dropper feedings of electrolytes as well as Kefir, it didn't make it. It wasn't too hot, because the others were thriving (and still are), but must have had something or took too much shock when shipping.

You are right, 1 out of 40 is darned good. I will say this, though, that chick was tough. It kept rallying even though I thought I'd find it dead at least 20 times. It finally came down to (after 3 days of this eye-dropper feeding, warm isolation in our bathroom, etc.) Father's day and we wanted to go to the beach for some R & R. I decided that if it couldn't make it to the water dish for water, it wasn't going to make it at all anyway. Sure enough, when we got home it had expired.

But I sure appreciate your taking the time to give your input. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom