sick sick hen, please offer suggestions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twister, Feb 27, 2012.

1. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. --whynndotte- heavy, less than a yr
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. -- lethargic, kept her eyes closed most of the time, very sickening smell, poop on feathers, when she poops it is foamy , mostly clear, but has some bright bright green parts to it

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? --4-5 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - haven't a clue
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking? drinking yes, eating, not in the last 24 hrs
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? not much poop, clear tinged with bright green. vent has a yellow ring around it---she smells like road kill---seriously bad smell
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? started first day with selmut, but at the advise of a chicken farmer, he said to switch to tetrametacycline(sp?) (2 days of tetra...stuff) hydrogen peroxide and trimed butt feathers first day.....
    warm bath 3rd day and a vent exam , felt no obstruction

2. sladell1463

sladell1463 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Sounds like vent gleet which is a yeast infection of the lower intestinal tract. The green in the poop is bile which is an indicator that she's not eating. Vent gleet is hard to clear up but here's what I've done in the past. First I segregate the hen from the rest of the flock in order to more closely monitor her & to reduce any stress from the rest of the flock. I usually put her in a tall, long storage bin with puppy pads on the bottom. This way I can easily observe any changes in her poop. The yeast takes over when the chemical balance in the intestine gets out of whack. So you need to be giving her probiotics in her water & yogurt with her food. I also use monostat suppositories inserted into her vent. I do this in the evening once she's ready to sleep. That way the suppositories stay in long enough to help. I do this for at least 3 evenings. I also spray the area around her vent a couple of times a day with iodine. Hopefully this helps.

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    thank you for the advise...everything else i have tried is not working. will do the things you suggested ! ty so much

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by