sick silkie chick?

PortmanChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Nova Scotia Canada
We got our asortment of chicks sunday including three silkes, one white and two buff. The breeder said they are around three weeks old. The two buff silkies are smaller then the white and one of them is as small as one of the 2 week old bantam chicks (TINY would fit in a 1/3 cup measurer I'm sure)..she also seems a bit wobly on her legs and often seems to lean against the side of the brooder or another chick. She does eat and drink and will do a scoot here and there to get to where she wants to be, but not as much as the others.. As she is the smallest of the 12 we got she does seem to be at the bottom of the order but I just want to see if this was normal behavoir for a chick..and a silkie. I handle her a little more then the others as I worry about her but I have felt her legs etc she seems "sturdy" enough for a tiny boned little lady .. I'm just not sure if it's normal behavoir or not..she seems more "confident" after I've held her for a bit and she stands on my hand for a while when I go to put her back..she usually drinks more if my hand is near her as well..kind of shielding her from the other chicks..

We got our asortment of chicks sunday including three silkes, one white and two buff. The breeder said they are around three weeks old. The two buff silkies are smaller then the white and one of them is as small as one of the 2 week old bantam chicks (TINY would fit in a 1/3 cup measurer I'm sure)..she also seems a bit wobly on her legs and often seems to lean against the side of the brooder or another chick. She does eat and drink and will do a scoot here and there to get to where she wants to be, but not as much as the others.. As she is the smallest of the 12 we got she does seem to be at the bottom of the order but I just want to see if this was normal behavoir for a chick..and a silkie. I handle her a little more then the others as I worry about her but I have felt her legs etc she seems "sturdy" enough for a tiny boned little lady .. I'm just not sure if it's normal behavoir or not..she seems more "confident" after I've held her for a bit and she stands on my hand for a while when I go to put her back..she usually drinks more if my hand is near her as well..kind of shielding her from the other chicks..
My silkies were really tiny when i purchased them at 2 weeks,i have 6 and some were smaller than the rest. Now at 10 weeks they are approx all the same size,my boys are a little bigger. Make sure she is eating,sometimes the little runty ones get pushed out of feeders. I added warm water to my chicks feed(so it resembles oatmeal) my silkie chicks loved this,and is easier for frail ones to eat.

As with all chicks,keep an eye out for Coccidiosis,know the symptoms and treatments.

Back
Top Bottom