Sick Silkie!! New to chicken would love help!

BodhiGrove

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
We went out this morning to change the chickens water in their coop. I was so sad to find one of our silkies had passed away last night. Another is lethargic and defiantly ill. They are both right at 3 months and in a coop with the same age birds. "Peppy" is able to move but very limited. Sits in a squat and is off balance. Has made a few noises but nothing like normal. He does have a yellow diarrhea in his hind feathers. I have not seen any bloody poo. The coop is cooled with a fan and several frozen containers and is quite cool inside. They are all still on medicated chick crumbles with fresh water & play sand. I have separated him inside and given him fresh water and food. Put some yogurt with crumbles and olive oil bread in as well.

We are really new to chickens and I would love some help!! My kids are so attached to these sweet birds! I just hope my lack of experience is not the cause! Please any help is SO appreciated!!

Thanks! Michelle

I'm so sorry and I'm not going to be much help, but I want to welcome you to BYC. Hopefully this post will bump up this thread and you'll get some answers soon.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - They are silkies and 3 months old. Both purchased from the same breeder.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - Sits lethargic, can stand but very non reactive. Has some yellow diarrhea along hind end, but no bloody poo that I can see.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?- Just noticed this morning, another chicken same age and from same breeder passed last night.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - Just the one now
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - no idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - I have placed fresh water, food (medicated crumbles), olive oil soaked bread. He has pecked at the bread.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - has dried yellow along back feathers. Has been in a large coop with the rest of my flock.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - isolation, and things mentioned above
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - depends on the situation and advise!
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - n/a
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - a large coop with 10 other silkies. Pine bedding, Fresh water changed 3 times a day, medicated crumbles, sand, fresh veggies and fruit as treats. Fan for cooling and frozen water bottles and watermelon.

Hopefully this helps to better follow the forum guidelines. I would love any advise!

Michelle

Last edited:
Oh no, Michelle. Are these ones you got from me? You got some from a lot of different people at the same time didn't you. From the show?

A lot of chicken diseases are airborn and everywhere. Clean your litter good where your sick chickens were.

Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom