sick silkie took a turn for the worse

Thank you.
Minihaha was only about a year old. SweetPea is 3. I also recently lost my silkie roo, he wasn't sick, but he was old and
my other rooster scared him under some fencing and he either had a heart attack or thought he was stuck and froze...it was really sad. I blamed myself, but I was at work when it happened so there wasn't much I could do.
Minihaha was paired up with that silkie roo and I think that her depression from losing him is what allowed her immunity to go down. SweetPea didn't seem to miss him like Mini did. Proves that animals DO feel emotions!
I was sick about the roo because I searched all summer for girlfriends for him, drove all over to get them, and then he dies.
Now I only have one silkie and they are my favorite breed!
hit.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss. Just so you know, Coryza can be spread by wild birds, so it's possible for your chickens to get it w/o bringing new chickens in. Also, next time try a round of antibiotics (I didn't see where you said anything about them) b/c w/ a chicken that sick they're not going to hurt anything and may be the only thing that helps.

Coryza can be spread by wild birds,

Kelly-
Yes, I did read that...but what about Pullorum...or is it more likely it was coryza?
I thought coryza was a virus, so what would antibiotics do for that? I guess maybe kill any secondary infections.
What kind of antibiotics should I keep on hand for the chickens?

Dora, thanks...I wish you were closer too! Its so hard to find silkies around here. I just love them, and their eggs are delicious, and peel easy when hard boiled.
(I don't eat them for meat, just the eggs...but I hear the black meat is suppose to be good for you)​

Infectious Coryza is caused by a bacteria called Hemophilus paragallinarum and can be reated with sulfonomides, erythromycin, tylosin, etc. It usually causes ocular and nasal discharge, swollen infraorbital sinuses, facial edema, and other respiratory signs.

Pullorum is caused by Salmonella and more often affects chicks than adults.

There are about a zillion other respiratory pathogens also though. I keep tetracycline on hand for semi-sick chickens and tylosin injectable for the really sick ones (which I haven't had to use yet, thank goodness).

Thanks for the info Kelly, sorry I read so much lately I got the viruses and bacters mixed up!
I'm hoping my feed store carries what I need.

Does anyone think that I should be giving the rest of the flock some sort of antibiotics?
I have scrubbed the water container since I took the sick silkie out of the flock.(and clean the coop often, using pine shavings and hay) For the silkie hen that is still alive who was with the sick one, should she have some antibiotics? I have been scrubbing her food and water bowls everyday, and cleaning her bedding (which is fresh hay) So far she remains healthy.

I use Purina Layena...does anyone think I should get a bag of the medicated Flock Raiser...or is that just for coccidiosis?
I tried to search the Purina website but I couldn't find what they put in their medicated feed.
Lasalocid (Avatec) is what is in Buckeye's medicated feed. If anyone could shed some light??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom