Sick silkie

Eliese

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2017
My silkie has never been healthy looking, she is always hunched and holds her wings low. She is also really skinny, although i see her eating and drinking all the time. She is approximately 5 months old. I have treated her with coccivet as she was sneezing and gurgling. The gurgling has improved but she still sneezes occasionally. Any tips on what could be wrong?

Attachments

• 20171005_170044.jpg
    20171005_170044.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 9
Have you checked her crop? If it's sour or impacted, she can eat all she wants, but it won't give her any nutrients. Good luck!

Have you checked her crop? If it's sour or impacted, she can eat all she wants, but it won't give her any nutrients. Good luck!
I checked today. It seems As though its always empty. Or very little in there. What should i be looking or feeling for?

I checked today. It seems As though it's always empty. Or very little in there. What should I be looking or feeling for?
If it's empty that's not the problem. You would be feeling for Impacted Crop or Sour Crop which both require the crop to be bulging. It could possibly be Pendulous crop which stops the crop from working properly. I think you may need to visit a vet. Good luck!

Coccivet is amprollium, used for treatment of coccidiosis. She sounds like she may have some respiratory disease symptoms. Diseases such as infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, and ILT can make birds weak, gurgly, sneeze or cough, and very sickly. She may have also suffered from coccidiosis prior, and after treating with the current medicine, you may want to get her seen by a vet for an antibiotic to treat her respiratory symptoms. Viruses such as IB and ILT will not respond, but MG or coryza may well. Keep her warm while she is sick, and make sure that she is drinking plenty of water. Some treats of chopped egg, tuna, or liver in addition to her usual feed may help her. If you can get some plain yogurt, that will give some probiotics as well.

Unfortunately she passed sometime today. I found her after work ☹ thanks for the tips though.

Back
Top Bottom