Sick& Slowly dying chickens, Need Help !

JohnParker

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
First of all I know I broke the golden rule, I didn't quarantine chickens I bought at an livestock auction.

Now here is my problem, I have 15 adult chickens 12 young chickens, in the same pen

3 weeks ago I had 18 adult chickens, 15 young chickens.

I bought 11 from the auction - 4 Cornish rock x - 5 lite Brahma - 2 mix birds

3/4 Cornish rock x 4/5 lite Brahma have died !!! over the last 3 weeks

Here is what I have noticed of my 12 young chickens a few have bubbles on there beak.

The only remaining Cornish rock x & lite Brahma have a cough.

For 3 days last week I have given all the larger birds Tylan 50

1/2 CC each bird at night and the smaller 1/4 CC orally. March 7,8,9

I also for the last week have been giving all the birds water treated with 2 teaspoons of Corid per gallon of water

Some cleared up but the remaining Brahma and Cornish still have symptoms and now another bird has a eye closed.

Should I start Tylan 50 again ?

I also have Vet RX, put it in there water once didn't seem to do anything so I haven't used it since.

Red chicken is sick, other two chickens have cough and were bought at auction.

What should I do ? Chickens keep dying !

Thankkksss

Yes another round of tylan. ONLY go 7 days.

Pick up some aureomycin crumbles and mix it in with their feed. You'll have to mix it in.

If you can order it, maybe order some Tylan powder and LS-50 powder. Use it in their water for a week instead of the tylan 50. Continue to use the tylan 50 until you get the LS-50 and the Tylan Powder. You should be able to get it from a vet or order off line if your vet of choice can not get it for you. It is a bit pricey, but it will work, and work well. If you can not, then continue the tylan 50 for 7 days. Even if the symptoms look to be cleared up after 3. Don't stop, treat all the birds...

I don't think the red bird is foul pox, I could be wrong.

I don't think you need to treat with corrid either. They've not got cocci.

Up the protein while you are at it. AND use ACV in their water. IT keeps the mucus membanes thin, and helps their own immune system to fight infections.

Good luck.

I am sorry you are going through this. I suggest culling them, or at least one, and having a necropsy. Respiratory infections will leave them with a carrier status even if they recover. Good luck.

What is ACV ? I'll check tomorrow at the feed store & tractor supply for the tylon powder + the LS 50, if not ill order it.

I went back to injecting tonight instead of oral , but man was it difficult and took 1 hr 30 minutes got to get something less time consuming

I did not check for ulcers in the red chicken but I do remember seeing some last week in some of there mouths.

The picture I posted is of some chicks that hatched this week and as you can see I have 2 hens that are sitting on their eggs right now.

What do I need to do to these after I treat the others. Also I have a separate rooster and hen in another pen, do I need to treat them.

If I buy hens from another person how do I add them to my flock now ?

Thanks for the help

ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar

This sounds respiratory. Most respiratory illnesses in chickens leave them carriers for life, meaning they will always have it. They may not always show symptoms, but they will always be contagious. You really need to consider having a necropsy to see if what they have will leave them carriers. I never suggest that, but not knowing is dangerous. You would either have to always be dealing with the illness or cull all your birds and start over or have a closed flock until your present birds expire. Definitely keep up with treatment. I hope it's not anything serious.
hugs.gif
I'll say a prayer for you and your birds.

I'm new to this site, but I found two ducks and I rescued from over at the pond that I live near. They were both getting attacked by a other ducks and the one has an injured leg. So I raise them and they've gotten a lot bigger. But I started to realize that the one wasn't doing so well. At first he wasn't able to walk right,so I started to do hydrotherapy with it. So it started to get better. then after a while I've taken them outside and leaving them roam around. I'm noticed it the duck got sick again. Now you can barely walk kama if it does you cannot stop walking and it runs into things. Or it just falls over and just lays there. I read up on things about it having buyers is and I read on your blogs about viruses and I just don't know. I bonded with the dick so much I don't want to see it die. I need help immediately. PLEASE!

Back
Top Bottom