Sick, staggering chick

Quote:
The medication in the feed is specifically to help them deal with the cocci until they are at an age to deal with it themselves (personally I would not switch, but if you are determined to do so then do so slowly >a bit at a time)
I am glad you stopped the electrolytes (three weeks is wayyyy too long to have them on this and might have contributed to your chicks problem in some way)
Give the polyvisol ...should take bout a week to show some signs of improvement. Give one week @ three drops a day then taper off the next.
I would also offer all of them a live culture plain (unflavored) yogurt free choice daily.

Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.
I started feeding them the medicated feed for exactly the reason you cite, but I just can't shake the hypocrite's guilt.
he.gif
I went ahead and gave them a mid-day meal of the unmedicated feed. Two mason jar feeders were empty within twenty minutes, they loved it! I think I'll refill it with the medicated next time then back again. I thought about mixing it, but I feel like that might encourage resistance amoungst the cocci. It seems like a once a day shot of straight med feed might be better?
idunno.gif

I was reading Gail Damerow's 'Handbook' and she mentions that amprolium inhibits uptake of vitamins. I guess this is why the books I've read suggest the electro/vita powder. It really makes me want to go unmedicated. Realistically, what do you think the risk is not feeding the amprolium? I do have goats I handle daily and there are inside/outside cats around (but not in...shuh, they wish) the brooder. I already 'scrub up' between barn and brooder, but I don't actually change clothes, or always shoes. Do you know anyone who goes med-free?

Oh, yeah and the other thing I went on and did was to offer a few pinches of Thorvin kelp. They loved it too. One thing I noticed in surveying the labels on their food is the lack of Se and Iodine.

One thing I've noticed: she shakes her head A LOT.

Last edited:
Wheatgerm oil is an excellent source of several micronutrients and you can mix that thru their feed daily.

I already have a tankard of it for the goats, might try that, I've also read that cod liver oil can be good, I feed that to the goats too. Have you ever tried to make your own feed?

Back
Top Bottom