Sick to my stomach

Quote:
As an only child, I don't have that much experience with small kids. Of course, my parents were absolutely not tolerant of violence to animals. So it's beyond me how any person could allow innocent animals to be abused in that way. As for the thought that some kids are just rough... I can believe that, but don't get them small fragile animals! Or just replace them when the kids kill them! Sheesh.

Quote:
As an only child, I don't have that much experience with small kids. Of course, my parents were absolutely not tolerant of violence to animals. So it's beyond me how any person could allow innocent animals to be abused in that way. As for the thought that some kids are just rough... I can believe that, but don't get them small fragile animals! Or just replace them when the kids kill them! Sheesh.

I agree. I don't want to get off track, but my mom and dad taught me to respect life at an early age. I do the same with my kids. The mom didn't want to tell me the kids killed the first one. The kids told me.

That kid needs to be put into a coop with an alpha rooster. One kid enters, one rooster leaves...
lol.png

BTW- I have a five year old and he knows better than to strangle anything lest he wants to be strangled... man...parents these days...sheesh....

Quote:

I agree. I don't want to get off track, but my mom and dad taught me to respect life at an early age. I do the same with my kids. The mom didn't want to tell me the kids killed the first one. The kids told me.

I agree that kids should be taught how to treat animals VERY early. My mom tells the story of when I was 2 years old and she and my newborn baby brother came home. I was looking at him through the crib bars as she changed his diaper, and she said "What do you think about your baby brother?"

I answered, "Pull tail, NO!"

(sorry for staying off track!)

Quote:

I agree that kids should be taught how to treat animals VERY early. My mom tells the story of when I was 2 years old and she and my newborn baby brother came home. I was looking at him through the crib bars as she changed his diaper, and she said "What do you think about your baby brother?"

I answered, "Pull tail, NO!"

(sorry for staying off track!)

lol, good for you! And to get slightly back on track, I think chickens are an awesome way to teach kids to handle animals. They're active, easy to care for, and give little rewards as a bonus! When I was little my parents gave me bread and I ran off to feed some geese... They flocked and most kids run away crying... I giggled. So I suppose I just have always loved animals.

I'm so sorry for your loss! My two-year-old has enough sense (manners) to be gentle with our chicks. She's handled them from the first day we got them, and hasn't had any problems. Sounds like a parenting problem to me.

I'm so sorry. I want to cry for you.
hit.gif

Our next door neighbor has a 4 year old. She came over and my daughter let her hold the chick. I turned to see her practically holding it by the neck.
rant.gif
I screamed the childs name so loud that it scared her to death. Thank goodness that it was ok.

Small kids are no longer allowed to even touch the chicks.

sad.png
I'm sorry, but maybe it was fate stepping in, I would think it to be harder if in a month or so it died anyway, ya know, or got sick and you had to do it? Maybe it was just not destined to live a chicky life.

That being said
barnie.gif
How could someone not teach their children to handle animals gently!! I let my daughter handle the chics at just shy of 2 years old, she understood you have to be gentle. How can a 3 yo not understand that ??? That kid would have the reddest butt in the world even if it wasn't mine....
he.gif

Guinea pig story - HOLY SH*T. You have to be kidding me..... and you wonder why the kids that abuse and kill cats and dogs or drive by shooting cattle feel like there is nothing wrong with it. They have been taught animals are toys and nothing more.... break it - go get a new one.
he.gif

Last edited:
So sorry.

This is why I dont like kids all that much. But then again I like their parents even less.

I cringe when I read stories about how kids will pull a cats or dogs tail and such. I mean it doesnt take alot to teach a child how to be respectful of life.
And then hear the parents say "Kids will be kids"
ah No. "Little monsters will be little monsters"

I will admit I would probably not have that mom and child over again if it happened at my house.

This was not the child's fault. That age is too young to know a cute fuzzy toy from a living thing. I also lost one of my chicks because i thought I could adjust my dogs to this new life. The one we least expected jumped 4 feet into the air before I saw him moved and he snapped the head off. I was looking to see where the chick was hurt and found a bloody nub. I cried like a baby - not because I lost a chick, but because I made the mistake to try and have my dog (it coould have been a small child) understand the difference between a toy and a life. I have made the coop and the run preitor proof because to this day I can see the "wolf" in my loving little dog.

It's easier to trust a small child. You expected him to be adult enough to know the chick could be hurtm but he wasn't. For me it was a lesson on keeping the others safe, but it still hurt very deeply. Take your sorrow and turn it to love for the others. They will appreciate it and soon the wound will heal.

Back
Top Bottom